Abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozengator

Reaction score
Is there a way to figure ABV if no gravity readings were done? I never pulled a gravity reading because I didn't really have a way to do it. Next batch I will. I think mine now has a good ABV. Seem like two beers and I have a little buzz. LOL. Light weight. :drunk:

Yup, plug your numbers into some brewing software and it will tell you what your expected ABV was, which is probably close to what your actual ABV is.

The 2 beer buzz method is about as reliable as anything but proper gravity testing. That said, unless you are brewing profeasionally, why do you need an accurate abv?

If it was an extract batch, the OG listed for the recipe should be pretty accurate. As long as your starting volume was correct.
You can still take your final gravity from your finished beer. Just let it warm up to room temp and get as much co2 out of suspension as you can.

For ABV, I have used the Fermcalc method for wine for years. It does work with beer also. Go to Fermcalc on the web. Use the Honneyman method. That one is near the bottom. Basically, what you do is take the SG reading of a known quantity, simmer off the alcohol, reconstitute to original volume, take another reading and use a conversion table supplied. Yes, it is easier to take readings before and after but sometimes we get so excited to be starting another batch we forget. That is my story and I am sticking to it!!!

Latest posts

Back