ABV for an American Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husker_jay

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch of beer and I must say that I can see how this hobby can become an addiction. I think my fermentation is now complete as I have check the SG on 3 days and all the readings were at 1.016.

The OG was 1.05 and if my calculations are correct, that should put me at an ABV of 4.5%. My question is, does that seem right for an American Amber Ale? With commercial light beer being at 4.2%, my ABV seems a little low at 4.5%.

Another question is, will my beer tast too sweet if the ABV is not at 5% or more?

By the way, I can't wait to work my way through this hobby. I am so excited about all the equipment a person can buy. From making an all grain brew to kegging the beer, this is just awesome. I only have the starter kit for now, but a guy can dream right?

What kind of yeast did you use? That is less than 70% attenuation, so I would think that fermentation is not completely done yet.

Parker, thanks for the reply

I used Safale US-05 Ale Yeast. I did not even know what attenuation was until I just looked it up. So a 68% attenuation probably means my brew is not yet done. I am looking for an attenuation of equal to or greater than 72%, is that right?

Anyway, at this point what should do? Re-pitch some yeast or just let it sit for awhile and then bottle it? Not sure what to do. If it is done fermenting and I bottle the beer, will it taste way too sweet or will it be okay?

Three days is way to soon to think of doing anything else. I like 05 but usually it takes a good week or two to reach FG. My last pale ale dropped 3 points during it's second week in the primary. So....no need to repitch. Let it sit for at least 3 weeks before you think of bottling...I know it's hard (it was for me at least the first time)...but you'll thank yourself for it....

Hammy, thanks for the reply. My beer has actually been in the primary for 9 days. The last 3 days the gravity readings were all 1.016. I just assumed it was done fermenting, but the attenuation is on 68%. I will let it sit for another week or so and take a FG reading to see where I am at.

By the way, love the Hamm's Beer avatar.

BTW, the commercial "light" beers use a ton of adjuncts to get that high of alcohol with so little mouthfeel or flavor. Just because you're not over 5% certainly does not mean your beer will be sweet.

Scimmia, thanks for the information. I was worried the beer might be too sweet if it did not reach 5%. I'm sure everything will be just fine, but as a first timer I can't help but stare at the primary all evening and wonder what is going on in there.

Parker, thanks for the reply

I used Safale US-05 Ale Yeast. I did not even know what attenuation was until I just looked it up. So a 68% attenuation probably means my brew is not yet done. I am looking for an attenuation of equal to or greater than 72%, is that right?

Anyway, at this point what should do? Re-pitch some yeast or just let it sit for awhile and then bottle it? Not sure what to do. If it is done fermenting and I bottle the beer, will it taste way too sweet or will it be okay?

I just did an AAA the other day with US-05. It went from 1.056 to 1.016.

Did you do an extract batch?

Yes, it was an extract batch. The temperature in my basement is at 65F. Perhaps that is too cold, but I thought that was right around the temp I needed to be at.

I am still being patient though. I have not check the SG since my last reading on November 3rd. Hopefully things will be alright. If not, I can still drink it and start a new batch.

Considering it's an extract you probably won't get much more attenuation. Did you temp adjust when you first took your gravity? If not you could actually add a few thousands and maybe your OG was really a little higher.

Your beer will be 100% fine.

Never ever heard about temp adjustment when taking OG. Thanks for making me aware of it. I just found a hydrometer temp correction table and found I can add .002 to the OG. If I am doing the math correctly, that puts me at 69% attenuation and at 4.7% ABV.

Thanks to everyone who has commented on this thread. Just by asking one stupid question, I found out about attenuation and temp corrections for hydrometer readings. Those 2 things led me to an answer about my original question about ABV.

HJ, one more thing. Move the fermenter to a warmer room in the house for maybe 2 or 3 days and see if they does anything if you're still concerned.

Back