ABT False Bottom Installation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrywise

Reaction score
I picked up an ABT False Bottom Installation to install in my converted keg MLT. Before I drill the hole for the bulkhead I thought I'd ask for advice on the height of the hole.

The pickup tube for the false bottom is flared at one end and I'm not sure if I should have the pickup tube be as close to the bottom of the keg as possible or if I should drill the hole higher so that the false bottom rests on the flare of the pickup tube which would give more of a gap between the tube and the bottom of the keg.

Anyone have any measurements to go off that have worked well for them?

false_bottom.jpg

You can't see in the photo but the pickup tube is flared out where it sits below the false bottom. It is not a fixed item though so depending on where you drill your hole in the side of the keg will determine at what height from the bottom of the keg the tube will go down to.

Thanks from a newb!

The pickup tube should be as close as it can to the bottom to get the most wort out of the kettle. I'm looking at these false bottoms vs. Sabco's. Are you recirculating your mash?

The pickup tube should be as close as it can to the bottom to get the most wort out of the kettle. I'm looking at these false bottoms vs. Sabco's. Are you recirculating your mash?

Thanks Maltrose. That's what common sense was telling me. I'm currently debating about adding a pump to my setup, probably need to Ebay a few things to finance my decision to take this hobby to the next level :)

Back