About to start my 2nd brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbruggs

Reaction score
Hello all! I've been lurking on these forums for a little while now.

I recently brewed my first batch. An american wheat ale extract kit from Northern Brewer. Overall it turned out well but I'm fairly certain I pitched the yeast too warm and most of the fermentation also happened when the wort was still too warm.

In any case, I'm looking for some advice on my next brew. I am planning on starting the Northern Brewer Wee Heavy kit tomorrow evening.

I am planning on using alot more ice and allowing the wort proper time to cool before pitching and using a yeast starter (which I didn't do last time).

I was wondering if it seems likely I'll need a blowoff tube for this particular beer?

Also, I ordered the Wyeast Smack pack and was planning on starting this beer on Saturday evening so I broke the nutrient pack Saturday afternoon. Shortly after smacking it I realized I really should be using a yeast starter with this beer (1083 OG) and I didn't have all the right stuff for a yeast starter. I'll have what I need tomorrow but will the yeast still be any good now that the smack pack has been fully inflated for a few days now ?

Since this is kind of a long haul beer, any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Smack packs are good for a couple days after smacking. Proper pitching temps are crucial but also keep in mind proper fermenting temps. Most starting brewers don't properly regulate the temps of their beer while fermenting.

I would be ready with a backup plan for the usual airlock just in case. I just did a weizenbier which ended up needing a blowoff hose.

Prior to even heating the water, I'll fill three 1 gallon jugs of cold tap water and place them in my chest freezer.
I cool the wort in the sink with ice. I put some ice down in the bottom of the sink, set the pot on top, and pack ice around it, I keep packing ice around it until it hits about 100deg F.
I add the wort to my carboy, then add my chilled topoff water. This usually will get me down to about 60degrees and it takes maybe 30 minutes from flame out to cooled wort.
Vigorous stir, grab a gravity reading, then in goes the yeast.
Speaking of yeast, I'll usually smack the pack during my pre-boil prep as well, its good to go by the time its ready to pitch.

I believe as stated that yweast liquid is good for several days in the refrigerator, so you don't have much to worry about.

I just took a look at the inventory sheet for the NB Wee Heavy. It shows a OG of 1.083. That is a high OG. You might want to make a yeast starter before you pitch, there are plenty of threads on here about yeast starters. They are easy to make. Also, this is a long beer to make so a whole lot of patience will be required. Happy brewing.

Latest posts

Back