About to make my first batch of mead. (JAOM)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ME_Brewski

Reaction score
I just got into beer brewing and I figured I might as well give mead a shot. I am going with a version of JOAM. I know that is very recommended to not change the recipe at all but would it be okay to do without the cinnamon and clove? I am making 2 one gallon batches and I am curious to how different they might turn out.

Welcome to our lovely hobby! I'm a newbie myself but I'm already addicted (Stop while you still can!)
You should be fine without them! The cinnamon and clove are just for taste. What you shouldn't modify is:
a) the amount of honey (OG should be something aroud 1.120/1.130). If you don't use enough you may end with an unbalanced mead, too bitter because of the orange pith;
b) the raisins, which act as a nutrient for the yeast (you can, however, substitute them for commercial energizer+nutrient, with no issues, I believe...)
c) the yeast. It's supposed to be crappy so it dies off early. Put a strong yeast and you will end with a dry mead that will be kind of bitter (to my taste, at least)
d) the patience. This is the most important. Beer is fast compared to mead from what I hear (never brewed myself) and you shouldn't compare them when it comes to schedule. Meads can take some months to clear, some more to be palatable and many more to taste delicious. It can be good as soon as you rack it off the lees, but it will be awesome a few months after that, the experts can tell you more about it...

Good luck, brother!

Thanks for the quick response! I am planning on using 4 lbs on honey rather than 3.5 because it may turn out bitter somethimes from the oranges like you were saying. As for the yeast, I think I am going to stick with the recommended because I am shooting for a sweeter mead, maybe for after dinner drinking. And yes beer can be quicker with 4-6 weeks from brewing to drinking for most beers but that is why I want to go ahead and make these so I can have them getting real nice while I go through a few beer rotations.

Don't increase the honey, I find the exact original version extremely sweet. You can sweeten later, but you can't take it out. And I concur with using the bread yeast, for whatever reason this recipe is weirdly awesome just the way it is .

Your brew etc, but one clove and 1 stick of cinnamon don't really add much taste, but it does help to round off the flavour. Or you could go with a couple of allspice berries and a star anise or a cardamom pod.

Just something minimal to add some interest. Otherwise it can seem a little uninteresting. ...

Back