About to bottle for the first time...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icebtr

Reaction score
So, about to bottle the first 3 gallons of 18 total of cider we pressed this fall. Its all been an experiment, and I'm continuing with this trend. So, this batch was pressed 11/17 from our own apples, pitched with Saflager w-34/70 (an unusual choice I know, but my basement stays in the 50's and this seemed cold for anything but a lager yeast. initial S.G of 1.050, was 1.004 when racked to secondary in December. Nice and clear.

So, planning to bottle in recycled beer bottles, shooting for a lightly carbonated (around 2 volumes of CO2) cider. Planning to add either plain sugar or FAJC to prime- have some tables, etc for this calculation for sugar. Was planning to bottle the 1st 2 gallons like this, let cement to a dry sparkling cider. Was going to add FAJC to the last gallon to go for a semi-sweet cider. Will bottle pasteurize.

So, anyone know how much FAJC to add/ gallon to prime to 2 volumes of CO2? and do I need to do anything to pasteurize/ sanitize it, or can I just dump it in? Planning to mix the sugar with just enough water to dissolve and heat to at least 170 degrees. Thanks.

Back