About FG, question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escobar090

Reaction score
Hi guys, quick question im bottling at this very moment and i totally forgot to make a FG reading (been a while since my last brew), the thing is i remembered right after i primed (with dextrose) and im getting rather high readings between 7 and 8 brix. Could the dextrose be the cause?

I fermented for 2 weeks as i usually did, but in this case at low temps about 50f.

My main worry is bottle bombs, especially since im bottling about 50 of them

Thanks in advance, hope you can help me

You haven't given enough information to answer your question.

46 points per pound per gallon.
5 oz dextrose = .3125 lbs
46X.3125 = 14.375 points
14.375 points / 5 gallons = 2.875 points/gallon
Your 7 brix = 1.0277 SG. Minus .0029 ~ 1.025 FG. Does that sound like a good FG for the style of beer you brewed?

Its an amber ale, SG 1050, thats the other thing i was worried, is it 1025 a good FG for an amber ale? What would be the diference with a 1012 for instance

It seems that is too high for an Amber. It might have needed more time to ferment.

Moving forward, I suggest this practice: Take a reading when you think it's done. Wait 3 days and take another reading. If the 2 readings are the same, then fermentation is done, so you can bottle/keg.

Also, depending on the yeast, 50°F seems REALLY low temp for an ale yeast, so you may have a slower fermentation at that temp, meaning several more weeks to actually be done.

Best of luck

What can i hope for now? I already bottled (havent capped yet)

Is there any risk for my bottles to explode?

Did you ferment in a fridge? Why such low temps?

Back