Abbey not sure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rorypayne

Reaction score
So I am deploying to Afghanistan and want to brew another beer to age for the year I spend gone. I already have a mead that is aging but really want to brew a Trappist/abbey ale before I leave that will have a solid year to condition. I have researched many recipes and cannot decide on a specific one that would benefit greatly from a year of aging. I would greatly appreciate some input on what or how to brew. I have read about culturing yeast from a chimay or something similar but am still not sure what my best bet is going to be. Thank you for the input! I very much appreciate it!

I'm there, I'm just looking for say a 1.100 og and a 1.010 fg so what will provide the available sugars and what yeast will eat it down. And much appreciate the support. We should be the last coalition forces in Afghanistan.

Look at candisyrupinc.com - amazing Belgian recipes - westy 12 real good

Maybe try something crazy like a black Belgian with a handful of roasted malts and really give it some flavors that take time to "blend." Maybe mix up a liquor/spice blend and let it all mellow together. Unless of course that's not your style.

I'm planning a dubbel but not quite there yet. I would recommend reading, Brew Like a Monk. Good info.
And on a personal note, thank you for your service an sacrifice. Stay smart and stay safe, and get home.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"-George Patton

Black Belgian great with a fair amount of spices that will come thru with time.

I appreciate all the support and no worries I always come home.

Brewed one up yesterday and it is off to the races, the most violent fermentation I've had yet. Looked something like this:

14 belg pils
4 belg pale
.5 aromatic
.5 special b
.5 coffee
.5 caramel wheat
1lb Belgian candy dark 60min
1lb Belgian candy syrup d-180 flameout

1oz northern brewer 60 min
1oz Hal 20 min
1oz Golding 5
1.5 oz cinnamon sticks 5
.25 oz cloves 5
.5 oz star anise 5
2 fluid oz vanilla bean paste 5

Wyeast 1033

1.095 og

I only have a 5g mash tun so I did a single decoction mash of 7lb pils and 2lb pale. And a single infusion mash and single batch sparge. I ended up with 1.040 still coming out of my tun and decided to bag it and freeze it to use for starters later, hopefully a year in the freezer won't hurt it.

Thank you for your service.

Belgians are alot about the yeast, and they improve with age for that reason, especially if bottle conditioned.

I would have recommended an Orval clone, the wild yeasts really need time to optimize.

Come back safe and sound.

One more question, bottle aging vs carboy aging? What is the benefits to both what r the downsides of both. It it obviously much easier to carboy condition. Thoughts?

Well you talk about Belgians think of this: Primary should be atleast 3-5 weeks or longer if you want, then depending on whether you are oaking, dry hopping, letting it balance , etc...1-4 weeks, varying depending on style and how big. You can bulk age, make sure it's done fermenting, solid bung instead of drilled bung with air lock, and you will have to repitch fresh yeast upon bottling or kegging. Regardless, strong Belgians still take more time to carb up and balance, so a year will only make any Belgian that much more tasty and complex.

I personally like to let go for a month and then another 2-3 weeks in a secondary then bottle. The yeast will still be viable and strong if you used a big starter and the pressure will be maintained better for a longer shelf life without having to repitch fresh yeast. You will still have to let it age a bit in the bottle before it carbs up, and it's will be less likely go stale if in an airtight container corked than in a bulk carboy with head space.

Hopefully my six is covered by my squad. This is my 5th deployment. We kill what we need to, home brewing is a freedom we love and respect I'll post my address on here b 4 leave would love some home brew!

I see your name is brewinginnc are youin nc? If so where at I'm in fayetteville and have been looking for other home brewers locally.

Nice almost halfway. Did you decide what to brew yet. I made the dubbel from brewing classic styles in july and am going to try it soon. I thought it was a little thin in august.

14 belg pils
4 belg pale
.5 aromatic
.5 special b
.5 coffee
.5 caramel wheat
1lb Belgian candy dark 60
1lb Belgian candy syrup 180 flameout

1oz northern brewer 60 min
1oz Hal 20 min
1oz Golding 5
1.5 oz cinnamon sticks 5
.25 oz cloves 5
.5 oz star anise 5
2 fluid oz vanilla bean paste 5

Wyeast 1033

Did a step mash with half and a batch sparge with the other because my large tun decided to break during cleaning. I am about to rack to secondary I have
2oz crystallized ginger
1.5oz cinnamon sticks
2 vanilla beans halved
Soaked in glenlivet 12

Not Bad, interesting spice combination. What was your OG ? Any tasting notes when you took your gravity sample?

Og 1.095
Down to 1.018 when racked to secondary.

Tasting very strong vanilla, with hints of coffee and caramel, still very sweet, strong mouth feel and slight licorice on the back but just a bit.

I racked yesterday and I got a little more sediment into the secondary than I would like and added in the mixture with scotch and this is popped off again, I woke up to the airlock full no foam like a usual blowout but nevertheless I hooked up my blowoff tube and it is bubbling away. N e body have n e idea why?

your concoction had some fermentables in it and the yeasties when back to work. No problem or anything to worry about, let it ride, and she'll be highly drinkable and smooth when ya get back from deployment.

It's not that simple. One, you're assuming it's not all the weapons / firepower we have ( That seems the more likely reason. ). Two, you're discounting the effect that our invasion of other countries could have in terms of making others more likely to want to invade us. Three, no other major country has been invaded in the past 40 years either (that I remember at least).

Last time I checked this is not the debate thread, the man came here for advice on brewing. I for one appreciate his service and the service of all, past and present :mug:
If you wish to debate it start your own thread in the debate forum.
Merry Christmas!

Wow........
How long do you plan on aging this this. And by that I mean when do you leave. I am being careful with my choice of words here

I am gone the month of jan for some training, then beginning of feb or march we leave and it's 9-12 months depending on whether the new us afghan agreement gets signed. So it will get at least a year.

Back