Abbey Cat Brewing - Mash Paddles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dysphoria

Reaction score
I felt compelled to post this up after a long look around for a simple, yet well made mash paddle. I ran into a Company - Abbey Cat Brewing - who looked to make some pretty mean mash paddles.

I went ahead and ordered up, not expecting the world due to the $30 price tag.

All I can say is WOW. This thing is exceptionally well crafted. Every thing is smooth and perfectly beveled. The hardwood maple grain looks great(so much so that I wasn't sure I actually wanted to dip it in my mash tun on the first go round). I really dig the beveled edges for breaking up those stubborn doughballs(more so than trying to smash them unsuccessfully with the edge of a flat or rounded(rake) paddle.

I also think the little bit of extra length (36") really gives a necessary leverage for stirring larger and deeper mashes.

In any case, I would buy again - will buy again for brew buddy gifts. Great product, and a good guy all around. Product came well packaged, and fast as can be. I wouldn't hesitate to get in touch with them either, as all communication has been stellar.

Enough of me babbling, here are some pictures(paddle isn't that white. Dusky outside which is playing tricks on my white balance. Last pic for more true color).

nqpdt3.jpg

29p2fkh.jpg

2mrwnz8.jpg

21do3ee.jpg

Excellent looking mash paddle. Been meaning to get a nice one like this, thanks for the link and review

Just thought I'd come back and drop a quick note - Mash paddle has been through at least 5 brew days since I got it, and it's still looking like brand new. If anything, the colors look richer from all that malty goodness. :D

Still the the nicest mash paddle I've laid eyes on.

Just an FYI, Mike, the guy who makes the Abbeycat paddles also lives in NJ and when I saw how nice they were I bought a bunch to sell on Brewhardware.com. I'm not trying to detract from his direct sales at all but if you happened to be buying something else from my shop, you can get one of these awesome paddles without going to multiple stores..Cheers!

I bet the paddles ship very conveniently along side one of the Brewhardware.com sight glass kits...I used their weldless keg conversion kit to make my brew kettle, and it is awesome!

blade is about 3.5 inches wide and 3/4 inches thick. handle is about 1 and 3/8 inches wide and 3/4 inches thick. There is some slight variation, as they are hand made. I have never had any flex issues, even with very thick mashes.

Back