Aaron D's Crapple Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arondee

Reaction score
I just brewed up this new cider and I have to share the recipe because it's delicious. This is a super simple recipe anyone can make and it's really tasty after 3 weeks. It's even better after back sweetening.

Total Gallons: ~5 OG: 1.059 FG:1.007
Sugars
Frys Apple Cider 1 1/2 gallons
Frys Apple Juice 2 1/2 gallons
Langers Apple Cranberry 1/2 gallon
Kroger Cranberry Apple Juice Cocktail 1/2 gallon
Frys Dark Brown Sugar 1#

Additional Ingredients
1 capsule yeast nutrient
1 can Tree Top Concentrated Apple Juice

Yeast
Safale 04 - Pitched directly into juice. Did not rehydrate.

Notes
@2.5 weeks the gravity was at 1.007 and it tasted good so I kegged and crashed it even though it may have still been dropping gravity. At 3 weeks it tasted good without back-sweetening but I decided to add 1 can of concentrated apple juice to the keg to sweeten it a little. At 4 weeks it's really good. The apple juice used really seems to make a difference. I tried doing a very similar recipe recently with Tree Top apple juice instead of Fry's brand and it was really tart for a couple of months. This one is mellow and easy to drink right away.

I've got a new batch going with some blueberry, pomegranate, apple, cranberry juice, and brown sugar that I'm pretty excited about as well. Enjoy and tell me what you think if you decide to brew it. :tank:

hey, I'm in Tucson too IN fact, last weekend I bought 5 gallons of AJ at Fry's. I noticed the Kroger brand Apple Juice sitting right next to the Kroger brand Apple Cider. Do you know if there is a difference between those two?

The ingredients are the same, the price is the same, and the nutrition facts are the same...

I was wondering the same thing, it didn't look like there was any difference to me. This cheap apple juice makes good cider for whatever reason. I've also tried motts and tree top and this stuff is better faster (1 month).

Back