A word of caution for DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I just gashed my wrist pretty good on the edge of a boil pot. I had the top of a sealed water tank cut off and was working on my wort chiller while it was down in the pot. Hand slipped and BAM. A quarter inch over and I woulda been bleeding everywhere.

You're going to have to answer a lot of questions about what happened. Are you feeling ok? Are you happy with your life? Just remember, we all go through tough times! You are loved!

I just gashed my wrist pretty good on the edge of a boil pot. I had the top of a sealed water tank cut off and was working on my wort chiller while it was down in the pot. Hand slipped and BAM. A quarter inch over and I woulda been bleeding everywhere.

Woah Steve, gotta be careful! Maybe look into some half-silicon tubing to put around the edge if you're going to be leaving it sharp!

And remember, all the dedicated emo kids know to cut down the block, not across the street ;)

Are you saying you cut the top off of a water heater to use as a boil pot? Awesome.

no...I wish....It was a stainless pressure water tank off the back of a pickup truck. I will get a pic of it sometime.

Woah Steve, gotta be careful! Maybe look into some half-silicon tubing to put around the edge if you're going to be leaving it sharp!

And remember, all the dedicated emo kids know to cut down the block, not across the street ;)

I thought we had ground the edges enough to keep em from being sharp...looks like I was wrong. Thanks for the tip. Next time lol.....

couldnt resist....

1-down-road.jpg

**** MAN! i hope your alright. I know plenty of people that recently have had some serious injuries my girlfriend's cousin just lost the tip of his finger just past the his finger nail. our mechanic at the drill shop got SMASHED in the face when doing some repairs and was so close to losing his eye. just a sobering reminder to be careful eh?

I'm looking forward to pics of your new pot.

I thought I was going to see something like, "When you are using a propane burner be sure not to let the gas run too long before lighting it." Not, "Hey, when you are sticking your arm through a hole you cut in a water heater to get to a wort chiller be sure not to gash your arm on sharp edges."

My HEX is mounted with flare fittings, the edges of the flares are like razor blades. I sliced my hand installing it in the HLT.

BEWARE!!!! ;)

Back