• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

A very quick turnaround mead based on an open source Groennfell recipe - Tart Cherry Mead

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

videojunkie1208

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I read on several Groennfell recipes to wait 24 hours before pitching yeast. Is that not the case? If I throw the yeast on the must now, do I stir it in or just let it sit on top? Thanks.
If you have something sterile to mix it in, and aerate it a bit, do that.

If you don't. It will eventually sink into the must and ferment anyway, just adds a few hours.

Seamonkey84

Reaction score
I haven’t read through most of their recipes, but usually the only reason to wait is if you are adding fresh fruits that you add campden tablets to (sulfites used to sanitize that needs to gas out). Or if the fruit is frozen and your waiting for it to thaw. But then again Peptic enzymes do work better without the sulfite or alcohol involved. As long as it’s sitting covered I guess you should be fine, but unless you’re waiting for the reasons I mentioned you can pitch the yeast.

Seamonkey84

Reaction score
Hey, I’m only basically just a over year into mead/wine making myself, just got a bit obsessive. though I’ve only totaled about 19 Gallons Since I started. I should get around to bottling some of this stuff I’ve been bulk aging...

noah0189

Reaction score
Alright, the mead took off pretty quickly after adding the yeast. My airlock was bubbling away. I took the lid off two days ago and gave it a gentle stir. When I snapped the lid back on, it didn't completely seal. Yesterday morning I noticed no bubbling and found it odd. I checked the seal and found that it wasn't secure. I snapped it on fully and it proceeded to bubble every two minutes or so. This morning there is no activity. Is this problematic? Mead was started on 5/16.
Thanks.

videojunkie1208

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
do you know what your original gravity was? Groennfell does low gravity meads, so I would expect a fairly fast ferment. I'd let it sit for another few days to let the yeast do whatever cleanup they do. If you have a means to take a sample and measure the gravity - it should be around 1.000 - 0.995

Then you can cold crash and enjoy!

Last edited:

noah0189

Reaction score
do you know what your original gravity was? Groennfell does low gravity meads, so I would expect a fairly fast ferment. I'd let it sit for another few days to let the yeast do whatever cleanup they do. If you have a means to take a sample and measure the gravity - it should be around 1.000 - 0.095

Then you can cold crash and enjoy!
I didn't take an OG reading (d'oh!), but I will measure current gravity.

Thanks.