A surgical nurse takes up homebrewing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fingers said:
A yeast surge!

Haha there we go!

Yeah, youe wouldn't have to aerate BC you'll be pitching an ass load of yeast...they don't need to grow any

I'm not saying you could pitch a bunch of yeast and ferement in an old shoe or something but if you were a bit slack on sanitation this could help....

OK Poindexter you've got me. I never had an infection at all until I stopped using bleach as a sanitizer. Why did I stop? Because you must rinse bleach, and i am a lazy slob. I'm gonna have to start with the bleach again, though, I think.

BTW my SWMBO is also an OR nurse. Actually, she is the director of the OR. But she hates beer so she never comments on my sanitation practices.

The reason there are many male nurse brewers is because being a man in the nursing profession drives you to the bottle!

Fingers said:
A yeast surge!

Well, I learned to bake bread with dried yeast from foil packets about 30 years ago. When I pitch my wort it looks like I am pouring in about half a gallon of skim milk. But that is a different thread, I am still reading up on yeast starter here.

It was pointed out in another thread that botulinum toxin, the bacteria waste that causes the condition of botulism will not be denatured - rendered harmless- by a 10% bleach solution until after 10 to 15 minutes of contact time.

There are rather a large number of different strains of bacteria within genus Clostridium species botulinum that produce botulinum toxin.

A presumably partial list is here:

http://pathema.tigr.org/tigr-scripts/Clostridium/shared/HtmlPage.cgi?page=bont_strains

Note the strains are divided by the serotype of the toxin produced.

I shall edit this post with another suitable reference when I have current correct information regarding ultimate disinfection under household conditions. Most of the chemicals we use in the hospital I would not want in my home even it was legal.

I shall poke around some more for:

A) time and temp in a dry oven to kill or render harmless anything and everything currently known to science (it used to be 350°F for 30 minutes)

B) exposure time with __% bleach solution to kill or render harmless...etc, used to be instantly with 10% bleach. We haven't had any fist fights in the break room yet today ;-)

EDIT: post one edited to reflect review status.

As a Winemaker, I use Potassium Metabisulphate to sanitize everything.
Have it in a spray bottle, and I literally just spray everything (hands included) that touches my wines. Carboys and Buckets get a quart or so dumped in and then swished and swirled around a bunch.

Touch wood, I have never had a bad wine, Also made my GF some beer (granted it was a kit) but used K-Meta throughout that too - did not have any problems.

Kilroy

Poindexter said:
Remember we don't need sterile equipment. All we need is equipment clean enough for the yeast we pitch to win the race for the food.

THIS. SO MANY TIMES THIS.

I've tried preaching this but it seems like such an uphill battle. I suspect that it is anecdotal evidence coupled with the current western society trend toward 'anti bacterial' everything that makes it so hard to get people to understand that beer is a pretty hardy foodstuff.

Latest posts

Back