A strange thing happened today...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerinthebloodco

Reaction score
For the the first time I recall in years, I ran completely out of ready to drink beer. I am now impatiently awaiting the completion of a Vienna lager and a hazy citrus pale ale. I usually have too much ready to go.

I typically carbonate in a second fridge just to be ready. Funny how that can happen when you start giving it away. I may need to devise a means of tracking beer pours. That way I don't end up out of everything at once.

I check the level in kegs with tape and an IR thermometer. This works well in a fridge, not so much in a tight chest freezer. Each keg has a strip of masking tape down one side. I open the door, rub the tape to warm it, and shoot the length of it with the temp gun. Where the temperature abruptly drops is the level of the beer. I also use IR to check the ferment temps, and often to check different parts of the basement for natural temperature control.

I just dropped $100 at the store for stuff to drink until my next batch is ready. I feel your pain.

I check the level in kegs with tape and an IR thermometer. This works well in a fridge, not so much in a tight chest freezer. Each keg has a strip of masking tape down one side. I open the door, rub the tape to warm it, and shoot the length of it with the temp gun. Where the temperature abruptly drops is the level of the beer. I also use IR to check the ferment temps, and often to check different parts of the basement for natural temperature control.
This is an awesome idea but I do in fact have a tight keezer. Rather than pay money for an electronic solution I will likely end up marking each pour. The collar of my keezer is a chalk board finish.

I guess it's a good time to clean the whole keezer out. No excuse not to now!

Back