A spoiled batch? I could really use some feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slantedbolt

Reaction score
So I made a batch in a bucket back in September. I fell ill and am just now feeling better.

The question is, I checked the beer and it is not visually infected and while I was sick, I kept the air lock filled with Vodka.

Do you think it would be worth bottling or should I just chuck it?

Is there anything else I should note such as smell or taste? I am more then willing to taste it to see if it tastes odd but I just havent done it yet.

Thanks for any feed back you guys can give.

Don't chuck it!!!!!

go ahead and bottle it, it will take longer to condition but it should still be good. What kind of beer is it? Hops will be more subdued, but it could be the best beer you've ever made, because it was allowed to age.

You should add more yeast at bottling tho...
was it in primary that long? I would taste it before bottling tho...

I'd give it a taste, and if it seems good, bottle it...

Cheers!

no offense, but bottle caps and sugar are cheap I would bottle it whatever it tastes like. Carbed and cooled will taste different anyway, I'm guessing your out of practice at tasting flat unfermented beer since you haven't brewed since last fall.

But to each their own. I like to taste during the process also, but always finish before I make final judgment.

This is a Porter. Do you guys think I should add more yeast since it has sat for so long?

I would boil some priming sugar let it cool at a packet of yeast and when it starts working add it to a bottling bucket then beer and bottle. Porters like to be aged.

This is a Porter. Do you guys think I should add more yeast since it has sat for so long?

If the yeast died off in the 6 months, it won't carb without some new yeast. It's your call, but I would just to save waiting 6 weeks and then finding it is still flat, or that an infection got a toe hold since any yeast was in bad shape.

If you don't you could take some of the trub, make a starter, and see if it ferments. If it does fairly quickly, you should be fine with what was in there.

Well I bottled it without adding yeast since i didnt have extra laying around. I did take about 2 bottles worth and put it in a 1 gallon fermentor and tossed some priming sugar in to see what happens.

It did give a blub once while I was watching it this morning so I am hopeful :(

Back