A simple digital Taplist solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question 2: This may sound ridiculous, but would it be possible to do a "bottle list" version? I brew quite a bit and usually have about a half dozen higher ABV/special beers lying around (dubbel, tripel, quad, imperial saison, a smattering of pseudo lambics, etc.) that take some time to consume and three or four 4.5-5.5% ABV beers (APA, wit, petite saison) that I run through pretty quickly.

Another update, I have added option to display bottle in place of keg. Clicking on it will reduce the number of bottles. As usual if you see any bug please let me know.

Taplist.png

Taplist.png

Another update, I have added option to display bottle in place of keg. Clicking on it will reduce the number of bottles. As usual if you see any bug please let me know.

View attachment 691915

View attachment 691916
That is awesome.

I downloaded the version from the google doc archive but it does not have the bottle feature. One suggestion: Some of us are freaks and have labels for our beers (my avatar is from the label for my saison). It would be cool to have the option to add a small JPEG icon for a beer that would display about the same size as the hop image.

Watch those features creep … ;)

Okay, I'm going to say right at the get go that this is probably not an issue 90% of people will have but here goes:

Between the fact that I brewed a ton of high gravity beer back in January in anticipation of a summer filled with concerts, birthday parties, and BBQs; and having a crap ton of time on my hands which I've used for brewing, I currently have 16 different beers I've brewed sitting on my shelves.

Ignore the fact that I just put the names and styles in and got lazy about the ABV, SRM, IBU, etc. … Here's the issue:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 19.45.19.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 19.45.19.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 74
BTW, I should also say: Thanks! This is very cool. Once I figured out where to stick the files I got my media computer hosting the list in no time at all.

Since we seem to be getting into real testing issues here, my installation is on an older Mac mini running MacOS 10.13. I've installed the files at the root website level as opposed to the user level. When I navigate to "localhost", everything works as expected. When I navigate to the media computer's IP address in the browser on another device, I get the initial page with the default blank beer.

Last edited:
That is awesome.

I downloaded the version from the google doc archive but it does not have the bottle feature. One suggestion: Some of us are freaks and have labels for our beers (my avatar is from the label for my saison). It would be cool to have the option to add a small JPEG icon for a beer that would display about the same size as the hop image.

Watch those features creep … ;)
Yeah, I would have to update the static version every time I make changes in code base. Adding image: next feature probably...

Okay, I'm going to say right at the get go that this is probably not an issue 90% of people will have but here goes:

Between the fact that I brewed a ton of high gravity beer back in January in anticipation of a summer filled with concerts, birthday parties, and BBQs; and having a crap ton of time on my hands which I've used for brewing, I currently have 16 different beers I've brewed sitting on my shelves.

Ignore the fact that I just put the names and styles in and got lazy about the ABV, SRM, IBU, etc. … Here's the issue:
I'm wondering how come you are not getting scrollbar when you add that many items. For me after 6 items, I start getting scrollbar. What browser/version are you using?
Since we seem to be getting into real testing issues here, my installation is on an older Mac mini running MacOS 10.13. I've installed the files at the root website level as opposed to the user level. When I navigate to "localhost", everything works as expected. When I navigate to the media computer's IP address in the browser on another device, I get the initial page with the default blank beer.
Since the app is using local storage, it will always store data on the device it is accessing the page from, not where it is hosted.

Yeah, I would have to update the static version every time I make changes in code base. Adding image: next feature probably...

I'm wondering how come you are not getting scrollbar when you add that many items. For me after 6 items, I start getting scrollbar. What browser/version are you using?

Since the app is using local storage, it will always store data on the device it is accessing the page from, not where it is hosted.

Browser: Safari 13.1.2 (13609.3.5.1.5)
I tried checking it on my "real" computer using Firefox/Chrome/Omni but ran into the same local/remote situation. Just to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying: When I navigate to the webpage from another device, it's not serving up the information from the webpage I'm navigating to, but from the device I'm browsing on. So, it would not be possible to enter the list of available beers on one machine and have it available throughout the house?

For some reason, today the background has also gone white. I tried using a different image and renaming it with the original image file name. But that didn't work.

Can you recommend a decent, free CSS editor?

Browser: Safari 13.1.2 (13609.3.5.1.5)
I tried checking it on my "real" computer using Firefox/Chrome/Omni but ran into the same local/remote situation. Just to make sure I'm understanding what you're saying: When I navigate to the webpage from another device, it's not serving up the information from the webpage I'm navigating to, but from the device I'm browsing on. So, it would not be possible to enter the list of available beers on one machine and have it available throughout the house?

For some reason, today the background has also gone white. I tried using a different image and renaming it with the original image file name. But that didn't work.

Can you recommend a decent, free CSS editor?
The layout on Safari is not behaving as intended, please use Chrome or Firefox.

Each browser stores local storage separately, so it's just not different device but each browser on a device will have it's own local storage. If you want that you should enter data once and it's available everywhere else than it's possible with storing data in a JSON file. May be another feature...

I would suggest Visual Studio Code/Sublime Text as HTML/JavaScript/CSS editor.

The layout on Safari is not behaving as intended, please use Chrome or Firefox.

Each browser stores local storage separately, so it's just not different device but each browser on a device will have it's own local storage. If you want that you should enter data once and it's available everywhere else than it's possible with storing data in a JSON file. May be another feature...

I would suggest Visual Studio Code/Sublime Text as HTML/JavaScript/CSS editor.

Setting aside weirdos like me who bottle everything, I would think being able to host the list on a "server" somewhere and then have it accessible from anywhere on the network would be really useful. I am specifically thinking of how things at restaurants have changed around here. They no longer automatically bring you a menu. You scan a QR code and that pulls up the menu. Then when your bill comes, instead of giving the server your credit card, you scan another QR code and pay with your phone. A taproom that could put a QR code on every table without having to pay that menu service would be a happy taproom.

Thanks for this. Any chance you could add a timer that measures the time between pours? This would help with my beer math- timing beers to innings/quarters left in the game when watching sports ball.

Setting aside weirdos like me who bottle everything, I would think being able to host the list on a "server" somewhere and then have it accessible from anywhere on the network would be really useful. I am specifically thinking of how things at restaurants have changed around here. They no longer automatically bring you a menu. You scan a QR code and that pulls up the menu. Then when your bill comes, instead of giving the server your credit card, you scan another QR code and pay with your phone. A taproom that could put a QR code on every table without having to pay that menu service would be a happy taproom.
When I said this is possible with JSON, I somehow overlook the fact that we also would have to store data back to the JSON file, not just read from it. This is beyond the capability of a client only app, we need a server to do anything like this. That would also mean that everyone would have to run the file from a local server, they can't access it from the file system or use a URL (unless we create a user based saving mechanism).

Thanks for this. Any chance you could add a timer that measures the time between pours? This would help with my beer math- timing beers to innings/quarters left in the game when watching sports ball.
Sure, just don't ask me when :)

Any chance you can post the latest version as a google doc archive? Thanks!!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17T_4QJxMJ08w-FSeftwPSF4fwJbq7278/view?usp=sharing

Went away for a while to have ACL surgery and come back and find this, its getting out if hand quickly, pretty soon us idiots won't be able to use it.
I understand your concern, let's keep this Simple tap list, simple. Any new feature I'll add to a different version and host it separately.

When I said this is possible with JSON, I somehow overlook the fact that we also would have to store data back to the JSON file, not just read from it. This is beyond the capability of a client only app, we need a server to do anything like this. That would also mean that everyone would have to run the file from a local server, they can't access it from the file system or use a URL (unless we create a user based saving mechanism).

You'll have to forgive my ignorance here. I know just enough about this stuff to be a pain in the ass.

I enabled apache on my machine and then replaced the default stuff in that folder with the folder of your stuff (see, no technical knowledge what so ever) and it worked nicely (with the exception of the evidently Safari related scroll bar issues). Would it be possible for the standard "index.html" to serve data to clients, and there was a separate "admin.html" page for the functions that are currently performed when clicking on the title bar, would that work?

And not for nothing, but you being so responsive, thoughtful, and accommodating is making some of my developer friends look bad. ;)

Is there a way to do multiple columns? e.g. 2 columns of 4 beers instead of 8 in one column
Currently not, but I think it's good to have the option of 2 columns at least. rossi46 that will be an enhancement, not a new feature :p
You'll have to forgive my ignorance here. I know just enough about this stuff to be a pain in the ass.

I enabled apache on my machine and then replaced the default stuff in that folder with the folder of your stuff (see, no technical knowledge what so ever) and it worked nicely (with the exception of the evidently Safari related scroll bar issues). Would it be possible for the standard "index.html" to serve data to clients, and there was a separate "admin.html" page for the functions that are currently performed when clicking on the title bar, would that work?

And not for nothing, but you being so responsive, thoughtful, and accommodating is making some of my developer friends look bad. ;)
This is a SPA (single page app), so there is only one HTML file i.e "index.html". Even if there were separate HTML pages, this would not work the way you want it. The only way it can be done is if you are ok updating the keg volume from one system, the rest of the system can read the same information. Send me a DM if you are interested in getting on a Webex/zoom and discuss all possibilities.
If you ask, the worst thing that can happen is you get a "No." but if you don't ask, they can't say "Yes." ;)
Though I didn't say yes, just for fun I might have a special version for Bigdaddyale if he is OK using the static files.(I won't host):)
It it keeps going like this, we'll have a duplicate of taplist.io 😁
I am kidding.
I'm trying hard to keep it simple and making sure any new functionality I add should not break the previous functionality. They are there if you want to use them, if not just don't worry about it.

Send me a DM if you are interested in getting on a Webex/zoom and discuss all possibilities.
I would not presume to waste your time like this. Though I will keep throwing out crazy requests because what the heck.

Very cool! Thanks.

Had another idea for you if you're looking for a new challenge and it doesn't involve an iPad app. There are several holes in the Brewfather app that I believe could be filled with plug ins. Most would benefit commercial brewers more than amateurs so would lend themselves to being paid add ons. Let me know if you're bored enough to consider them.

Back