A Second Wyeast Pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vaz

Reaction score
Hi everybody,
Still feel very new to brewing... this would be my third extract kit I brewed.

Today and I made a couple errors with my yeast.

First off, I used one WYeast 1056 American ale for my brew that has an OG of 1.064. From what I've read, on the Wyeast website, I should've pitched two packets.

Secondly, I completely forget to check the wort temperature before I pitched and I ended up pitching @ 80 degrees. oops.

Any thoughts on troubleshooting these errors? Should I pitch a second packet? or would that risk aerating my wort? Or am I just overreacting?

Also Its Sunday night, the homebrew store isn't open until Tuesday, so it would be 48 hours until I could pitch that second packet.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Eh..you under pitched, but it's not going to kill your beer. You'll be fine. Some people under pitch on purpose. I like to under pitch my graff and saisons. Pitching at the high temp can cause some off flavors. I'd just leave it as is. Leave the beer on the yeast for a bit longer than you normally would, and let it condition a while if you're getting weird flavors.

Next time do a starter and be sure to chill your wort.

Look up the ideal fermentation temperature range for WY1056 on the Wyeast site. Bring your wort temperature down to the mid point of that temperature range.
Take a look at this yeast starter calculator. Instead of multiple yeast packs you can propagate yeast cells with one pack. You don't need a stir plate and flask to make a starter. You can use any sanitary container and shake/swirl as often as possible to keep the starter wort aerated.
http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/

Don't worry, your mistakes aren't terrible ones. Get the temp down to 65ish and let it ride. Then, make the same recipe again with a higher pitch rate and pitch at the lower end of the yeast's temp range so you can compare.

Hey guys,
Thanks for advice, sounds like my errors won't be ruinous... lesson learned to say the least.
This morning, about 9-10 hours after I pitched the yeast there were steady bubbles coming out the airlock and about 1-2 inches of krausen already formed. The temperature appeared to be 75.5, hopefully it will be down to 65 when I get home from work.
Thanks again!

75.5? :eek: What kind of yeast? Most ale yeasts will give some off-flavors at that temp and at this stage of fermentation. Is it in a swamp cooler or something to bring the temp down?

Do not pitch a second packet. You pitched enough yeast to ferment the wort, but you'll experience a longer lag time before you start seeing "active" fermentation signs.

He's past that point. Pitching warm counteracted the effect of the low pitch rate on lag time pretty effectively in this case, it seems.

Back