A question for the experts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troutrvr32208

Reaction score
I have a question about the beer I would like to brew next. I'm on my 4th batch and I have brewed an extract and all grain. I'm drinking a red hook ESB and I like the crisp flavor with a touch of the grapefruit flavor. I would like to know what type of Ale recipe I could brew next that would be close to this?:confused:

Centennial and cascade hops, some vienna and pale, dark crystal, some LHBS have red malts... this should help your online searches

I made this one back in 2006:

Redhook ESBish

6.6 pounds light LME
1 pound light DME
1 pound 60L crystal
1 oz Willamette 4.6% (60 minutes)
1 oz Tettnanger 4.0% (60 minutes)
1 oz Williamette (20 minutes)
1 oz Tettnanger (2 minutes)

Ale yeast (Nottingham is good, or s-04)

Steep grains 15-20 minutes in a grain bag at 155 degrees. Remove and add malt extracts. Bring to a boil. Add hops at the times indicated. Cool wort quickly (an ice bath is fine) to less than 80 degrees. Pour into sanitized fermenter and top up to 5 gallons with cool water.

You can use either DME or LME to get you to about 1.052 or so. I used Briess Golden Light LME and Munton's light DME, but it really doesn't matter.

It came out really good!!!!!

Centennial and cascade hops, some vienna and pale, dark crystal, some LHBS have red malts... this should help your online searches

That's 100% wrong for an ESB.

Just look up ESB recipes online. The one posted here looks fine, but stay away from American hops.

I made one that unintentionally turned out pretty similar to redhook's:

91% Maris Otter
9% Crystal 120

1oz Challenger 6.5% @ 60 min
1oz Fuggles 4.0% @ 20 min
dry hop with 1 oz EKG for a week

-- aim for OG of 1.055, around 32-33 IBUs

-- I used Wyeast 1968, but I've used Wyeast 1187 Ringwood Ale before and it can have a pretty pronounced grapefruit taste, especially if fermented around 70°-72°.

-- this is a bit darker than redhook's esb (because I was going for something else), but you could sub some crystal 60 for the 120.

That's 100% wrong for an ESB.

Just look up ESB recipes online. The one posted here looks fine, but stay away from American hops.

He suggested those hops because the OP mentioned grapefruit. A flavor that is most commonly associated with cascade & centennial. Who cares if it fits the guidelines?

Biermuncher's recipe comes well recommended, it's on the to-do list for me.

Back