A question about the "mrmalty" calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tesla_HV

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a silly question but when using the liquid yeast tab on the Mr Malty Pitching Rate Calculator, it gives a recommended #liters of starter required. Is this the volume of the DME/water solution that you boil before pitching the yeast? If so, what is the ratio of DME to water that is recommended?

From Fourteen Essential Questions About Yeast Starters

"When making starter wort, keep the starting gravity between 1.030 and 1.040 (7 - 10°P). You do not want to make a high gravity starter to grow yeast. As a ballpark measurement, use about 6 ounces (by weight) of DME to 2 quarts of water. If you're working in metric, it couldn't be easier. Use a 10 to 1 ratio. Add 1 gram of DME for every 10 ml of final volume. (If you're making a 2 liter starter, add water to 200 grams of DME until you have 2 liters total.) Add ¼ teaspoon of yeast nutrient, boil 15 minutes, cool, and add yeast."

Starters generally have an OG between 1.03 and 1.04. So if Mr. Malty says you need a 3-liter starter, you'd add between 8.3 and 11 oz of DME to 3l of water, assuming 1.046 points per pound per gallon for the DME.

Thanks for the replies. Do most of you weigh your DME? The instructions given with the yeast starter kit gives a volume (1/2 cup IIRC) to 650mL of water. What is the relationship then between weight and volume of DME?

I weigh my DME in a measuring cup. As far as I can judge, 100g (~3.5 oz) = 3/4 cup, but that depends on how tightly it is packed.

-a.

Latest posts

Back