A question about increasing the alcohol content.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickjam

Reaction score
I am asking to know if it is possible.

Let's say that I am going to rack to secondary and I take a gravity reading and do not like the alcohol content. Can I boild some corn sugar, add it to the secondary fermenter and let is sit to increase the alcohol content? Will this kill the carbonation process when I add more corn sugar before bottling?

Thanks.

NICK

Some wine makers step up the Alc% in this manner. Its not the best thing to do for beer. Why not add it in the beginning. It may be easier to take a hydrometer reading, or Brix reading to determine your Original gravity. So you will have a ball park figure of your alcohol content.
Its better to add corn sugar, or brown sugar,..etc at flame out for a higher alc% or use more malt in the boil. I would think When adding it to the secondary you might add a little bit of oxygen to your brew which is not the best practice, you also have a chance for contamination, and for long term storage this might not be ideal, but for a brew your going to drink early it might not be a big deal.
You wont kill your carbonation process, adding sugar to your secondary will give the yeast more to eat thats all and make more co2. Now if you had a big ol beer with an OG of 1.090 or 1.1, it could affect your carbonation, because thats allot of work for your yeast.....and when you go to bottle they might be to worn out to carbonate properly or it may take forever or it may not carbonate at all. My guess is if your going to add some sugar your not close to 1.090 or 1.1. ...On the big brews I like to use safale 56, I hydrate the yeast and add them to the bottling bucket then bottle. But I would not add yeast unless your starting gravity was 1.090 or 1.1 or it had been in the secondary for a long time and the beer was very clear....There are allot of factors. All you can do is try it.

Possible yes, would you want to do it no. If anything you could boil up some DME and add it.

You should know right at the begining of the ferment what the gravity is so you can estimate the ABV then.

If you are using extract then you should know before you brew what the ABV is. There are no real variables.

If you want to add sugar to raise ABV then do so but don't expect your beer to taste good.

I think we need a college kids forum!

Why do you even want to?? Most homebrews have enough alcohol in them already to make BMC look like soda pop anyway.

Definitely DME - corn sugar should ideally only be used for carbonation (some don't even like it for that - personally I don't have a problem with it for that purpose). Corn sugar adds no flavour at all and makes your beer thin and dry. If that is what you are going for then by all means - but if you want good beer stick with DME.

Back