A possible 5 gallon fermenter from Rubbermaid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_in_CT

Reaction score
While they're only 22 quart containers they are really clear. A local store uses them for olives and pickles.

They are available from distributors of Rubbermaid's commercial line of products:

Rubbermaid Commercial Products - Rubbermaid Foodservice : 5728-24 Round Storage Container

images

Sorry but the one thing that can't be gotten out of buckets to use them for brewing is pickles....I don't think you'll find one success story in all these threads. The pickling brine penertrates way too deep into the plastic.

And probably the olives as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/pickle-bucket-173350/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/pickle-buckets-144485/?highlight=pickle

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/pickle-taste-bourbon-stout-132670/?highlight=pickle

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/pickle-bucket-grist-104109/?highlight=pickle

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/pickle-bucket-85010/?highlight=pickle

As all the above threads have shown, even multiple soakings of oxyclean won't work....If it were that easy there wouldn't be so many threads.

As much as I am all for scrounging, recycling and repurposing, and finding free stuff for our hobby. I have to say pickle buckets really just need to be passed by. Get yourself some frosting buckets, or even soy sauce buckets from the local chinese takeaway, but not anything with vinegar, it's an acid and will penetrate the bucket.

Look for frosting or soy sauce buckets, or go get whhite hdpe buckets from lowes or had....

Hey Revvy, i think he means because you can buy them new, he just got the idea because the deli uses them.

Looks like the clear ones are made out of Polypropylene (PP, recycle code 5). Some people say that isn't good for fermentation, and that High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE, recycle code 2) or Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET / PETE, recycle code 1) would be better choices.

Currently I have 6 Wegmans Apple Juice bottles that are small (96 oz), but I thought they might be good for test batches. They are made out of PET.

Resin Identification Codes

Looks like the clear ones are made out of Polypropylene (PP, recycle code 5). Some people say that isn't good for fermentation, and that High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE, recycle code 2) or Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET / PETE, recycle code 1) would be better choices.

Currently I have 6 Wegmans Apple Juice bottles that are small (96 oz), but I thought they might be good for test batches. They are made out of PET.

Resin Identification Codes

If you do a search you will find and overwhelming number of discussions that clarify the myths and incorrectly regurgitated information on that topic.

These containers are perfectly fine.

If you do a search you will find and overwhelming number of discussions that clarify the myths and incorrectly regurgitated information on that topic.

These containers are perfectly fine.

For every one person that says yes, I will find one that says no. For me, it is a personal preference that I stick with containers with a 1 or 2 rating. By no means am I saying a #5 will not work, as Polypropylene is listed as being used for food containers. I'm just putting some info out there.

If you're looking at anything between the materials, it'll most likely be light barrier (just keep it in a dark place anyways) and rigidity (don't drop them or hit them with hammers). But you're probably not doing this anyways. Unlike... pickles, which are poured into the containers then trucked somewhere, stored in warehouses, distributed, hit the resturants, etc.

You may want to do some research between the materials in regards to scratch resistance if you want to really compare. I expect that to be the main difference that will be considered.

But with the short term use of a primary fermenter, either material should work. As a long term aging container (years and years), there *might* be a bit of debate, going into polymerization structure and light/air permeability, but that's not what you're doing with it. (It's a bucket, you'd have enough of a problem regardless of material).

To each their own regarding the safety of containers. My thought process is that I don't have to pay more for safety, as I can:
1) Get used known food grade containers from my local food co-op for $1 minus my member discount. These were used for things like maple-syrup. If you don't have one of these locally, look for places like dunkin donuts or local bakeries.
2) Get the new white 5 gallon paint containers from WalMart for $2.97. (Encore plastics), but only the white ones. There are discussions in various survivalist forums on these, e.g. White Buckets at Wal-mart ARE Food Grade - Survivalist Forum. As with everything, things change so do your own due diligence.

Finally, while a lot more money, I have a set of the following that I use for storing grains and other foods longer term due to issues I've had with mice. Costco sells a 10-pack of 6 gallon food-grade containers with gamma seal lids: Costco for $139. While this is pricey, you are getting 10 (so $14 each). So, considering a gamma seal lid goes for at least $5.75 (quantity 12 from Rhino Fittings, Plastic Material, Plastic Cutting Boards, Trade Books, Paisley Farm, Washout Booths PLUS shipping, that means you are paying about $8 each for the 6 gallon bucket shipped. Not a fantastic price, but ok and these lids/buckets are fantastic for storing grains. I have grain that I bought in August stored in these and when I open one of them you can smell the grains, just like the first time I opened the sack.

Back