A pointer, if you please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all.

I've not really been active in this corner of the forum, so may name may be new to a lot of you. I have been homebrewing for almost 30 years now, and my related hobbies include control and automation for the brewing process. I say this not to try to impress anyone, but to give a basis upon which you can help me build.

I have never made "real" wine. I've made Skeeter Pee, mead, apple wine, "Wenches Wine" (Welches grape juice) ... things that are wine technically, but which are recipes and not necessarily teaching me anything about winemaking.

My wife asked me to make her some wine. "Shoot, that's easy!" So, I intrepidly bought some appropriate yeast (D47), and a wine kit (Pinot Grigio). Now, I have NO idea what to do. :p

So is this fermented as-is? Is it concentrate? Do I have to do any acidity balancing? I know there's no boiling so do I use Campden?

I'd look for a book (and ask for a recommendation) but shipping times are ridiculous these days. Can anyone help get me started or point me to an online resource that's akin to "Winemaking for Dummies?"

ETA: Or a Kindle book, that's fine too!

My goal is to hurry up and get this into a fermenter. Maybe I'm ready, maybe I'm not.

Hi Lee!

Those kits are designed to be used "as is", that is, follow the instructions. The grape juice has been condensed, and it's been pH balanced, etc, so you basically just need to add water and follow the instructions.

With kits, you really do get what you pay for. What you got there is a wine that will be fine, but not a fine wine. I'd compare it to a $3-5/bottle of wine, maybe a bit more, say something like Barefoot wines quality.

The most expensive kits have grape skins, more grape juice (less condensed), etc, and are of a very good quality and some of those wines then will compare to a $25-30/bottle of wine.

The less expensive wine kit will make decent table wine, but not with much complexity or depth. We call those "everyday drinkers" and enjoy them.

We make all sorts of wine, from country wines (think blackberry, chokecherry, dandelion, etc), to fresh juice to grapes, etc. We make several kits each year as well, of different quality, so we always have different wines on hand from those everyday drinkers to special quality wines.

Thanks for the reply Yoop!

I didn't even know that there WERE instructions in there, so you definitely got me off the bubble on that. :) I just looked and hell, there's even Bentonite and Chitosan in there. It also has EC-1118 which if I remember correctly is "Champagne" so I'm thinking the D47 I have is a better choice for this?

"Country Wines." I like that. Yes, I've made a bunch of those, just never "real wine." :)

Yes, I was looking for a "Barefoot" quality wine. I figured if I screw it up I'm not out much. She's currently drinking Cavit Pinot Grigio, so nothing expensive.

Anyway, I pulled out the instructions so that's what I'm reading now.

EC-1118 is very newbie-friendly because it has low nitrogen requirement, strong fermentation kinetics, ferments clean over a wide range of temperatures, and has low-H2S production. It's a great neutral yeast that lets the fruit shine. I'd pitch around 65°F and then drop it to around 60 after 12-24 hours.

D47 is fine too if you'd rather use it, but be aware that it's more sensitive to process flaws such as a poor rehydration process. It does add some slight fruity complexity in my experience, compared to EC-1118. Personally it's not my favorite, but plenty of other people like it.

Thanks for the tips. I'm not afraid of the process, at least as it relates to the yeast. I use O2, GoFerm, and if I can't manage to control the temperature things will get real embarrassing for me. :) I have a bit of experience with H2S producers having made a few Skeeter Pee recipes with the "recommended" Montrachet. I mean my whole garage STANK!

I've always found Champagne yeasts far too dry for my taste. I realize a Pinot Grigio should be dry, but not *that* dry. I suppose I could try it; but if she doesn't like it, I'm going to have a lot of vinegar to give away.

My day got away from me so I guess I'll make it tomorrow while I'm on endless conference calls.

Cool, don't forget the rehydration requires proper temperature, timing, and attemporation.

Back