A Night of Firsts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pava

Reaction score
-Due to the my water source closing for a month and a half I went from a simple addition of gypsum to building a water profile completely from scratch and this was my first time dabbling with water chemistry.

-I Forgot to check the hose until I was ready to hook up my immersion chiller and found out that it was frozen solid -- really, really should have known this was going to be an issue.:(

-every bit of liquid that ended up on my work table froze solid within minutes.

-as a last ditch effort to cool my wort I pulled out a bunch of frozen 1/2 gallon water jugs from our freezer and after a quick star san bath began plunging them into my wort to cool it as much as possible.

-45 minutes later with one of the best whirlpools I have ever gotten, I transfered my 10 gallons 150 degree wort to their respective carboys and am now in the midst of a hybrid no chill sort of experiment.

I just cracked a vanilla bourbon imperial porter while perusing HBT and realized that even with all that went wrong I hit all my numbers spot on, had a better hot break and whirlpool than I have ever had before and after I pitch my yeast in the morning and wait a couple of weeks hopefully I will have made beer (oh sure it was not the most sanitary of sessions. . .and the homebrewers boogie man 'hot side aeration' may just in fact exist in this batch, but I have hope that it will at least be edible if I drink it fast enough). . . This has got to be the best hobby/addiction/obsession ever.

Back