A nice PM brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nostalgia

Reaction score
Went pretty well! I did AHS's Oaked Porter. I had planned to try my first full boil but decided to wait until I got a bigger pot (mine's 7 gallons). Turns out it was a good idea because this batch really wanted to boil over. I did increase the boil volume significantly to what I had done in the past.

I mashed 6.38qt water with 4.25# of grain for 45 minutes. I was aiming for a 158F mash-in but hit 156. I'm mashing in a nylon bag.

Drained into the pot and batch sparged with 3.10gal at 170F for 10 minutes.

Beersmith says my pre-boil grav should be 1.029 without the extract. I came in at 1.024. Beersmith also thinks I should have ended up with less than 3.93 gallons of wort, but I ended up with 4 1/3 into the pot. Is this an issue with crush? Grain absorption?

Boil was uneventful. Added LME at 15 minutes. At flame-out I had 3 gal and 1.75q of wort. That's a boiloff rate of 21%! Holy Christmas. I'm going to have to double check those numbers ;) I want to play around and figure out my efficiency, anyway.

OG was 1.053 after the top-up. Cooled to 65F and pitched Wyeast 1028 from last night's washing.

Looks good! It's certainly black :)

-Joe

In case anyone's wondering, it's awesome. Not a whole lot of oak flavor from two weeks on the cubes, but a wonderful beer. Carbonation is great with a big thick head that really sticks around.

oaked_porter.jpg

-Joe

Back