A new one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karlschnaps

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

As a good teacher's pet, I would like to thank the administrators and all the members for this great community forum.

Who I am ?
I am a french men, 31 years old, living in Alsace not so far from Germany.
I produce grapes and wine as my job and my passion.
A work placement in 2010 in England in a Brewery pushed me into the Homebrew world.

My brewing philosophy ?

I love light beer in alcohol content (3-5,5 %) with a good malty and hoppy taste as I can buy in Germany.
I drink a beer everyday, usually after working. For pairing with food, I prefer wine.
Because I'm hedonist, I try and taste a lot of different styles of beer.

How I brew ?

I use a 40 L cooler with a manifold for a single infusion at 66 °C (151 °F) with a 2,5L / kg water grain ratio.
I do a decoction with thick mash for getting the mash-out.
I brew a no boil (not exactly because decoction) and no chill beer.
For the bittering with hop, I can do a partial boil, an addition in the water for rinsing or during the decoction.

I'm aware about infection and DMS content, and never have any issues (except once with infection but it was my fault not the process :) ).
I do this way because firstly I missed place when I lived in a small apartment during my studies.

Since a year, I ferment in a 50 L in a stainless keg with a spunding valve. That system is magic for me.

Why I'm here ?

I read a lot about brewing, but I have few questions about RIMS.

Cheers,

Back