A need for mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheelbrew

Reaction score
I am going to try my first mead this weekend. :ban: Was just wanting thoughts, comments, or advice anyone is willing to share. Here's the plan:

6 lbs pure filtered NC sourwood honey
2 gal water
1 lb Golden raisins
juice of 1 lemon
ec1118 or d47 haven't decided yet

I wanted to keep it simple in the hopes of less chance to mess up and I also like the nostalgic value of what some one could have drank 500 years ago. Do you think I would need nutrients if I used the EC1118? Thanks all in advance for the replies I know I will receive.

THB

tarheelbrew said:
I am going to try my first mead this weekend. :ban: Was just wanting thoughts, comments, or advice anyone is willing to share. Here's the plan:

6 lbs pure filtered NC sourwood honey
2 gal water
1 lb Golden raisins
juice of 1 lemon
ec1118 or d47 haven't decided yet

I wanted to keep it simple in the hopes of less chance to mess up and I also like the nostalgic value of what some one could have drank 500 years ago. Do you think I would need nutrients if I used the EC1118? Thanks all in advance for the replies I know I will receive.

THB
I would hold off on the lemon, since an acidic must can have problems fermenting. If its the flavor you want, a few pieces of zest will add flavor. The raisins are also un-necessary, unless you want that flavor profile. EC1118 is a great yeast, and will give you a dry mead. All meads will benefit from nutrient additions, as honey is very low in the nutrients preferred by yeast, and so necessary for fermentation.

BTW, don 't boil the honey, its delicate flavors will be lost.

I would hold off on the Lemon also. Increasing acid in mead must can create some issues for you, especially in the PH area. If you use D47 yeast you must add nutrients or it will stick. Some people do add rasins with the 1118 yeast as it will give a bit of tannin, and some nutrients but it does add a flavor. I would drop the rasins and lemon, add 1 tsp of nutrients in the must, 1 tsp of nutrients in 4 days and then 1 more when you rack to the secondadry, then use the D47 yeast. You will give the yeast the best environment and it will work great! ABV will be around 14%.

Thanks! sounds like I was making it harder than I need to. The sourwood honey is wonderful, and is the real flavor I want. And are you saying to start with the 1118 and then the D47 when I rack, or no yeast until I rack? Thanks for the help.

I know I read about the acidity also, but I made a Lemon mead using 10 cans of frozen concentrated juice and it's at 12%.

I don't know what to tell you. I can only say that it's not always a true statement. ;)

FYI. Using 6 lbs of honey you can add more that 2 gals of water. I've used 6 gals of honey for 5 gals. Of course, the alcohol level drops, but who needs to drink something so strong anyway?

tarheelbrew said:
Thanks! sounds like I was making it harder than I need to. The sourwood honey is wonderful, and is the real flavor I want. And are you saying to start with the 1118 and then the D47 when I rack, or no yeast until I rack? Thanks for the help.

If you are making 2 gallons here is what I would do.

5 lbs Honey
water to 2 gallons
2 tsp Nutrients
2 Campden tablets
1 packet Lalvin D47 yeast

Mix the honey with the water and shake it until your arms are sore (get the O2 in the must). Add 1 tsp nutrients and the 2 crushed Campden tablets. Let this sit for 24 hours. Put the yeast in a cup of warm water(84-88 degrees) and let it sit for 15 minutes then stir and wait another 15 minutes. It should be foamin by this time. Add the yeast to the primary and cover with a towel. In 4 days stir the must well and add 1/2 tsp Nutrients and cover with a towel again. After 6 more days rack into a secondary adding another 1/2 tsp Nutrients. When racking the first time just get all the must out even if you get some of the lees. Attach an airlock and let it sit for 30 days.

In 30 days rack and continue to rack every 30 days until it is crystal clear. I always test the gravity at each racking and test before adding the yeast. It will get around .996 gravity and should be very clear then stabilize and add more honey to sweeten to your taste.

This should take you about 3 to 4 months. It should be possible to drink around but will get better with age. Sourwood does make some nice flavors for Mead!

THANKS! That sounds like what I am going to do. What are the campden tab for? I was trying to go all natural (for tradition and nostalgic value) but can waiver for the right reasons.

I don't use campden, but those who do use it to sterilize the must. Honey, however, has antibacterial properties, so I find it redundant. That's just my take on things.

Guess I'll have to make a batch with and one without to see. Are there any drawbacks to using it (just in case) and what the hell is it. Like I said I do want something all natural. The historic value and history of this drink astounds me!

Back