A n00b with a bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Pirate

Reaction score
I am interested in making an Irish dry stout (of the same sort as Guinness), and realize that I need a nitrogen system, but I am not ready to make the financial and space commitment for a kegging system (not to mention one that can handle CO2 and N2). Is there any way that I can bottle a beer with nitrogen?

apologies if this topic is covered elsewhere in the forum, but I couldn't find it.

I am interested in making an Irish dry stout (of the same sort as Guinness), and realize that I need a nitrogen system, but I am not ready to make the financial and space commitment for a kegging system (not to mention one that can handle CO2 and N2). Is there any way that I can bottle a beer with nitrogen?

apologies if this topic is covered elsewhere in the forum, but I couldn't find it.

Boy, I don't think there would be anyway to do that. When you keg, you still have co2, but use nitrogen to push the stout. Guiness bottles have that nifty "widget" to dispense with nitrogen.

You could still make the dry stout, and it can still be very good.

Nitrogen is used in Guinness and a few other beers to encourage a very creamy head. It's not actually used to carbonate I believe.

As I understand it, nitrogen and a special tap head flood the guinness with nitrogen, which creates the creamy head.

If you want that "mouth feel" that N2 gives, you have 2 choices. You can go to the local beer store and invest in a Guinness tap, which is I think 1-200 dollars more expensive, and you have to buy a special nitrogen mixture, or you can investigate methods to deliver smaller carbonation bubbles, thus giving you a creamy head.

Also, if you're trying to make a guinness clone, I've read that 3% by volume of Guinness is actually soured beer. If you're shooting for the "guinness experience" you'll have to look into that to really get close.

Back