A moment of silence for my mash paddle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmoewes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Friends, can we please have a moment of silence for the passing of my first hand made mash paddle. It was a good paddle and mash many a fine beers.

It was lost today when I failed to notice it was right under the skylight when I sprayed bee and wasp killer. As I watched the first wasps fall from the terrible poison, I noticed the excess spray slowing falling all over my mash paddle. As the poison soaked into the wood I knew I could not in good conscience use it ever again.

The mash paddle is dead...

2014-05-22 13.55.50.jpg

I'm sorry for your loss. I raise a glass in salute to the paddle that once was, but is no more.

Some modern pesticides degrade rapidly and become "harmless". Most used in agricultural applictions are non toxic after a rather brief period. Any idea what the active ingredient in the bee spray is?

Perhaps the apple you ate for lunch was also sprayed last week?

Some modern pesticides degrade rapidly and become "harmless". Most used in agricultural applictions are non toxic after a rather brief period. Any idea what the active ingredient in the bee spray is?

Perhaps the apple you ate for lunch was also sprayed last week?

Hmm.... That sounds reasonable but.... maybe I'll just make another one ;)

Sounds like you just made yourself some brewing/bar swag. Hang it on the wall & enjoy the fond memories it brings.
Regards, GF.

Give it a coat of laquor and turn it into a fraternity paddle type of threat to keep the kid(s) in line.

I second hanging it on the wall of your brew room. She is a purdy paddle.

I would just give it a sanding. The spray would have been absorbed by the surface cells and have been so light it is not like soaking the paddle for an extended period.
I did throw out a beer bottle a while ago. A mouse had died in it. I knew it could be sanitized, but wondering if this was that bottle, forever in the future as I poured a beer, was to much for me.

Awww poor mash paddle.
I guess I would consider sanding it but for $10-15 in lumber and my time, I could make another.

Personally I would soak that Baby in warm Oxy for a day then rinse like hell. If you are stuck on making a new one I would repurpose your old one:

- Whack a Mole with prairie dogs (with the holes, they'll never hear it coming)
- Swatter for our unofficial MN State Bird (see explanation above)
- Give it to Lindsay Vonn because you know...she will need it some day

Back