A lot of spam around here there days...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There sure is. One of the threads I started and has 5 pages got spammed. Lazy suckers didn't even bother to start their own thread!

Yeah I started this thread in Secret Chit Chat last night.

One guy got in 18 spam posts in 10 minutes.

I don't know what's going on, if the mods aren't around right now, or our spamblockers or whatever aren't working right now. It's been crazy.

Seems to be a growing trend on all the forums... Several of the other forums I frequent have even suspended new registrations it's gotten so bad. Pretty sad really and I never have understood the point of it all. :mad:

I was the admin on two forums in the past. One had about 30 members and one had around 130. Even at that small size, spamming was a major problem. I ended up requiring membership verification to combat it. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that doing this severely hurt my growth, which really sucks. On a forum of this size, I don't think there's anything that can be done without seriously changing the way things work and taking up a LOT more of the administrator's time. I feel for TX :mug:

I posted a fairly lengthy response to one in "story" fashion. And it got deleted! :(

That's what I get for wasting time writing crappy stories in spam threads.

Man, I wish I had mod rights to delete spam! Saw 2 posts and a related blog today for some fancy shoes. I went to their site and left them a pretty hot email. Won't do any good, but it makes me feel better that they know I hate them.

Homercidal said:
Man, I wish I had mod rights to delete spam! Saw 2 posts and a related blog today for some fancy shoes. I went to their site and left them a pretty hot email. Won't do any good, but it makes me feel better that they know I hate them.

Man, I wish I had fancy shoes....

I wonder if there's a way for Tx to give "limited" mod powers to a handful of senior members - just the ability to delete an obvious spam thread (or move it somewhere behind the wall, for later permanent deletion. Might lighten the load a bit on people like Yooper and Yuri and BierMuncher. Spam deletion was never a fun task.

I wonder if there's a way for Tx to give "limited" mod powers to a handful of senior members - just the ability to delete an obvious spam thread (or move it somewhere behind the wall, for later permanent deletion. Might lighten the load a bit on people like Yooper and Yuri and BierMuncher. Spam deletion was never a fun task.

yeah, everytime I click on the
report.gif
button to report the spam, I wish I were just hitting a key to delete the spam instead.

Yeah, alternatively - maybe it can be set up so that if two or three people report a post as being spam, it goes into purgatory? Not just one person who clicks it - too easy for us to abuse that authority.

Yeah, how much beer do I send to TX to get spam delete rights?? I don't know if I want the responsibility to decide on arguments and such. But I'm generally surfing HBT most of the day at work anyway.

I'm looking into our options. There has been an increase but I do have a few options.

It also gets heavier around the start of the holiday season, but so does registration so it gets tricky catching them without going through them one by one.

Admit it, you just want mod powers again so you can ban me. :D

Spammers aren't as dumb as they appear. Their bots can do e-mail verification. They often create accounts, wait a month, potentially post a few innocuous "I agree" posts, then begin their reign of terror. Late at night, they get the run of the place until a mod wakes up and cleans up.

Thankfully, most spammers barely speak English, and the bots are relatively poor at posting using context cues, so the posts stand out like sore thumbs. Once a mod spots one or is notified, the decision to delete/ban is simple and quick.

I just can't believe that spam is still an effective tactic. I guess enough idiots click the links enough to warrant the spammers' existence.

They are insidious.

The new trick is to sign up, post some harmless questions, leave the account alone for some time then go back and either edit in links or add them to their sigs.

There's no universal way of taking care of them as there is no universal spammer. They all have different ways and means.

Back