A little help setting up a Shandy Recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyJed

Reaction score
I'm going to attempt a Shandy this week and want some advice on what I'm thinking since I'm primarily an Ale brewer with a few lagers under my belt.

I'm going to brew a 4 gal typical Pilsner. 24ish IBU and 5%. Then filter it with a 1 micron filter to remove the yeast and then keg it on top of 1 gallon of grapefruit juice. This should drop the IBUs down to like 13 and the ABV to like 3.5%

I'm also thinking of adding grapefruit peels at 5 mins or flameout, but unsure if it'll be needed because of the juice.

Does this sound reasonable? Should I bother with the peels or just rely on the juice for flavor?

I'm going to attempt a Shandy this week and want some advice on what I'm thinking since I'm primarily an Ale brewer with a few lagers under my belt.

I'm going to brew a 4 gal typical Pilsner. 24ish IBU and 5%. Then filter it with a 1 micron filter to remove the yeast and then keg it on top of 1 gallon of grapefruit juice. This should drop the IBUs down to like 13 and the ABV to like 3.5%

I'm also thinking of adding grapefruit peels at 5 mins or flameout, but unsure if it'll be needed because of the juice.

Does this sound reasonable? Should I bother with the peels or just rely on the juice for flavor?

Nothing wrong with adding the peels, do you!

My shandy recipe is pretty similar exceptI split my beer/lemonade 2.5/2.5. My wife isn't a beer drinker but she loves her Shandys!

Back