A "Leftovers" IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r4dyce

Reaction score
Digging through my basement fridge I found some leftover hops. I often make small batches so I frequently only use parts of a 1oz bag. They were resealed but all were at least 3 months old. Rather than trash them I had a "eh what the hell" moment and decided to throw them in a quick IPA. Cascade, Columbus, lemon drop . I just boiled up a gallon of wort with some light DME, didn't even bother with any grains, threw in the hops on a typical schedule. 1/2 pack of us05 and let's see what happens.
I just opened my first bottle yesterday and it was actually kind of good. Like surprisingly good. Now I'm not claiming it would win a medal or anything, But it's pretty nice when compared to how little effort went in to it.

Just wanted to share, because if you have some leftover hops, you can make a totally serviceable beer using some extract for a quick and dirty IPA.

On a side note it's the first time I've used DME to make beer. I keep it around to make some starters. Pleasantly surprised how good it tasted and how easy is to work with.

I store my hops in my freezer and have used hops much older than that. For my "good" batches I buy fresh, but for my daily drinkers (house english bitter) or beers I'm not too careful about, I've used hops probably a good 12 months old. Makes it hard to really calculate IBUs, but for some of my brews I'm not too concerned about reproducability.

I've done this a few times, but it's usually specialty grains that I have laying around. I typically end up with something along the lines of an American Brown.

Back