A horrible morning already

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c.n.budz

Reaction score
So, I wake up this morning, take the dog out and notice something. A big empty spot where I parked my car last night. Yup, my car was stolen from right in front of my house. I live in a normal neighborhood in New Haven, not great but not bad either.

I called the police to report it stolen. I tell the person on the phone it's a 98 Acura Integra. She says, "Yeah, that's a real common one to get stolen" Great...:mad:

I call my insurance company to file the claim, the service rep pulls up my policy and says, "Oh, it's an Integra. That car has a very high theft rate" Great...:mad:

I didn't realize that old integras are such a commodity in the car thief community:confused: :mad:

Of course my neighbor's bright red convertible Nissan 350Z doesn't get touched, but my 9 year old car gets stolen???

The police said they'll start looking for it but I'm not holding my breath. I'll get some money from my insurance company, but not enough to buy a new car so that means I'll have a car payment for the first time in a very long time.

So here I am waiting for the rental car company to pick me up, and I figured I'd vent to you guys...

I'm soooo pissed right now!!!!

Damn, dude, that sucks! Crap....

There must be something about the Integra that makes it easy to chop (parts work on a lot of other cars or something like that). Pisser... :(

Ouch, that reeeeeeeeally sucks, man. Old Ac's and Hondas have that high theft rate because they're worth a bunch in the chop shop. As a whole, a 98 Integra probably isn't worth all that much (KBB et al), but disassemble it and sell the parts on the black/grey market and you can make a fortune.

Plus, a bright red 350Z convertible is a little easier for the cops to spot than a 9 year old Integra.

Car payments suck, dude. I really hope it turns up, or at least, your insurance company is fair about it. I wish you luck...and I'll raise a glass to your car returning tonight.

I'll never have to worry about that with my vehicle. Even thieves don't want to have to fill the gas tank in an Excursion.

ohiobrewtus said:
I'll never have to worry about that with my vehicle. Even thieves don't want to have to fill the gas tank in an Excursion.

you drive an Explosion? word! does it beep when you put it in reverse? ;) :D

Dude, that sucks ass... I would never imagine someone walking up to my front yard and taking my car. That's insane. Well, on the bright side, you get a new car :)

Did you have any credence tapes in there?

Unbelievable! That really sucks. I would never expect a 9 year old car to be stolen, especially right out of your friggin driveway. Now, it'll be all the crap you have to deal with plus buying a new car. Geez. I'm really bummed for you.

My Mass. insurance co. adds a list of hot cars to the yearly renewal. If your model is on it you end up paying more.. and , yes, the list is surprising. A lot of "mid-life" Japanese cars are on it, like a V6 Camry...!

My readings indicate that a lot has to do with underground chop shops, for anything from seats to airbags (a hot item for repairs) or worse, like overseas container shipments on high-end. Such a traffic ring was discovered last week in China, I think.

ohiobrewtus said:

:off:

I have several older cars- one of which is a 1990 GMC Suburban. It has a 40 gallon gas tank and 8 passenger seating. Both my kids learned (one is now learning) to drive on this vehicle. If you can park this puppy, you can park a tank. It still runs great, though, so I can't bear to get rid of it.

cnbudz, you could borrow it if you want- I loan it out to friends all the time. You gotta pick it up here, though!

That really sucks, man.

On the bright side, the day's gotta get better from here!

Cars are generally stolen for parts, so it's mostly older cars that are stolen. Take a look at what's really hot selling today and you've got a road map for the hot cars to be stolen in 2014-2016.

Google a bit, and you can find several lists of what's being stolen most often right now. Here's one from State Farm 2005:

1. 1991 Honda Accord
2. 1995 Honda Civic
3. 1989 Toyota Camry
4. 1994 Dodge Caravan
5. 1994 Nissan Sentra
6. 1997 Ford F150 Series
7. 1990 Acura Integra
8. 1986 Toyota Pickup
9. 1993 Saturn SL
10. 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup

http://www.statefarm.com/learning/be_safe/road/learning_besafe_onroad_cartheft1.asp

Sorry to hear about this Cnbudz. I've had a car stolen before, but got it back a few days later. The car was a beat up Cutlass that my cousin and I had already started disassembling the engine on. They didn't get too far before giving up on it.

I hope you didn't have anything too valuable inside.

Cheesefood said:
Get a Jeep. No one who has the need / option to fix a Wrangler opts to use stock parts.

Yeah, but with Jeeps they just steal your stuff inside or slash your windows for no reason. I had a "bum fund," in my center console, of dimes and nickels to distract him from the quarters I had in the ash tray (that I needed for tolls).

Sorry for your loss, that really zux! Older cars are also targeted because of how much easier it is to boost them. New cars have all these new bells and whistles on anti-theft and GPS tracking gizmos. Older cars don't always have that stuff and it's easier to get in and get away.

:off: Back in highschool an older friend of mine worked as a repo guy. Friday and Saturday nights we'd go out and repo cars. Most times we had the keys from the dealerships but sometimes not. We basically got paid to steal cars. We'd have to contact the local police and let them know what was going on so we wouldn't get arrested for grand theft auto or anything. It was kinda fun.

dude that blows btdt. lost my 85 monte carlo ss that same way. the cops found it a week later stripped of it's drivetrain. whoever stole it put 500 miles on it before they stripped it tho. ya think the cxops would have seen it some time in that much drivin:(

Ó Flannagáin said:
Did you have any credence tapes in there?

Luckily no Credence tapes, just a few mix cd's and unfortunately 3 fishing poles and all of my freshwater tackle:( .

I just got back from picking up a rental car and going to the police station to fill out the other police report. I asked the officer if they typically find stolen cars and he just smiled and said "sure, it'll probably turn up when they're done doing what they want with it" I don't find that very reassuring....

Cheese, I was actually planning on buying a used Wrangler in the spring for a "bombing around" car. I guess I'll be doing that a bit sooner...

cnbudz said:
Luckily no Credence tapes, just a few mix cd's and unfortunately 3 fishing poles and all of my freshwater tackle:( .

I just got back from picking up a rental car and going to the police station to fill out the other police report. I asked the officer if they typically find stolen cars and he just smiled and said "sure, it'll probably turn up when they're done doing what they want with it" I don't find that very reassuring....

Cheese, I was actually planning on buying a used Wrangler in the spring for a "bombing around" car. I guess I'll be doing that a bit sooner...

Should have told them you kid was in the car, a guy did that in Dallas and his car was found in an hour.:) Think he got in trouble though.

That sucks man. I hope they somehow find it before it's chopped. My college roomate had his integra stolen about 3 years ago. The cops found it on the side of the road a few weeks later. It had no motor, drive train, or seats. They had put some pos wheels and tires on it. They'd taken everything they could and put enough back on to tow it to where they left it. It was a total loss, just a shell when they found it.

Good luck with it all.

cnbudz said:

Sorry to hear your day is going badly... and sorry to hear that your fishing gear is gone now too! :mad:

Cheap anti-theft devices:
1) Open the hood and take the plug wire from the ignition coil to the distributor with you
2) Install a fuel-pump cutoff switch hidden below your seat costs like $5-10 in wire and a switch. This way the thieves will get out of the driveway about the time it shuts off.

Sorry to hear that.
I had my Silverado stolen in May last year-out of a commuter lot.
My insurance co paid out after 30 days, so I went out and got another used Silverado-but had an aftermarket alarm/starter disable installed.
It also had way too many personal items in it, so I keep very little in it now.

My old truck turned up (abandoned) about 14 months later (sometime this summer), basically intact with some damage. I thought for sure it would have been parted out-it had just over 100,000 miles on it.

A good friend of mine lived in Providence for several years and had his car broken into twice. He lived in a predominately black neighboorhood and is lily white. The first time the car was broken into, the thieves had only taken the car stereo and ignored an album of some 500 cd's that was on the passenger seat. He was confused by this and while filing a report with the police he commented on the cd's. The police officer just looked at him and remarked, "Take a look around you. Who here in their right mind would have anything to do with a white boy's music."

I've heard many great Providence cop stories, they are right at the top of my list of people to sit and share a beer.

I drive an old wrangler. It's messy and got a ton of miles on it, so nobody in their right minds would think about stealing it.

It has been broken into quite a few times, but I figured that would happen a bunch when I got it seeing as locking the doors is pointless, so I don't keep anything of value in it, lol.

Good luck with finding your car, man. Hopefully you can atleast break even.

Sort of off-topic.. I friend has a 05 F350 7.3..thief comes on property to steal truck..nugget (friends pit) jumps right in the truck with said thief and mauls the **** out of him...screaming dude, dog barking wake up friend.. he calls the cops.. he gets his dog put down and has to pay a **** load of medical bills and go to court..

I would never call the cops.

Best of luck, even if you get it back it wont be the same :\

Back