A Homebrewer's Mission Statement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryGravy

Reaction score
My interest in brewing is growing exponentially. I'm ordering books, buying equipment, developing techniques, and spending an excessive amount of time on homebrewtalk.com.

I have no other hobby at this stage of my life (minus physical training, but that is part of my job, so it doesn't count). God, family, beer.... and not much else.

I've been thinking a lot the past few days: Why am I doing this? What are my goals in homebrewing? Am I trying to save money? Am I trying to be the best in the land (hehe)? Will I become a traditionalist, or be cutting edge? How far will I take this?

So, I did the only reasonable thing: I typed out my ideas, and my ideas looked like a mission statement. So, I made these ideas into a mission statement. I'm going to print this off and put it up in my brewery... when it is no longer just my kitchen and garage.

I will develop a comprehensive brewing strategy which implements methods and ideologies that encourage high quality, repeatable results based on scientific and anecdotal evidence. I will strive to develop and maintain exceptional sanitary practices to maximize quality and minimize wasted time and materials. I will use technology to my advantage and not be afraid to attempt techniques and practices that go against common wisdom. I will make brewing a priority insofar as it does not interfere with my family life or our finances. Most importantly, I will remember that this is a hobby for my own relaxation and enjoyment, not a second job to cause excess stress and concern.

If you were to have a mission statement, what would it be? I'm looking forward to both the deeply introspective and the whimsical one-liner answers, if I get any.

:mug:

Odd, but I've never even considered having a mission statement for homebrewing. Maybe I am jaded because all of the mission statements I've ever seen at work looked like they were put together to impress a customer or the certification auditor.

I like yours though. I think it does a good job of encouraging a quality process while recognizing the value of other things like family and your own personal well being.

Mine is probably something like:

Learn the basics and be able to consistently produce a good quality cider. Taste a variety of ciders and try to develop a knowledgable appreciation of them. Once I've got a handle on those parts, I'd like to get more adventurous and work on my own recipes.

That's about it for the moment, although I am interested in wine making and I'm not ruling out beer at this point either!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

I just started brewing a few months ago and have thought about why I'm doing it. Unlike you, I have many other hobbies and questioned if I should take on one more. I decided to give it a shot since the initial investment was relatively low (under $200), and if I didn't like it I could just quit. So far I've enjoying it so I'll continue for now.

I prefer to talk of goals, rather than something like a "mission statement" which sounds but too age-y and corporate.

My goal is to relax, enjoy, and make some decent beer. If I can't simultaneously do all 3 I'll quit.

My interest in brewing is growing exponentially. I'm ordering books, buying equipment, developing techniques, and spending an excessive amount of time on homebrewtalk.com.

I have no other hobby at this stage of my life (minus physical training, but that is part of my job, so it doesn't count). God, family, beer.... and not much else.

I've been thinking a lot the past few days: Why am I doing this? What are my goals in homebrewing? Am I trying to save money? Am I trying to be the best in the land (hehe)? Will I become a traditionalist, or be cutting edge? How far will I take this?

So, I did the only reasonable thing: I typed out my ideas, and my ideas looked like a mission statement. So, I made these ideas into a mission statement. I'm going to print this off and put it up in my brewery... when it is no longer just my kitchen and garage.

If you were to have a mission statement, what would it be? I'm looking forward to both the deeply introspective and the whimsical one-liner answers, if I get any.

:mug:

Jerry - is that you? Show me the money!!!

Sorry, for some reason your post reminded me of Jerry McGuire. But seriously, that is a great philosophy, one that I think most of us here would agree with.

I think for me it comes down to reminding myself why I'm doing it.

I've been doing a lot of plotting and scheming as far as equipment and technique are concerned. During that time, I started thinking about all of the glorious upgrades I could sink my money into. Then it struck me: what are you really planning on doing? Do you really think you need to make 30 gallons at a time? Or 20? Or 10? Do you need a dedicated freezer for your yeast AND a dedicated old freezer for a fermentation chamber? What do you need stainless conicals for?

So, then I decided I needed to narrow down my real goals.

-Be consistent
-Be clean
-Be knowledgeable
-Be smart!
-HAVE FUN!

I came from a corporate environment full of mission statements to the military world full of creeds and officers spouting nonsense. So, it's natural for me to write it up this way. I can see how it would seem silly to others!

Back