A GREAT score AND a general update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nightbiker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Firstly, while at work at the end of June I had a subdural hemorrhage (brain bleed) -I was very lucky because I was already working in the ER when it happened -it was a decent size bleed and produced enough pressure to push my brain a centimeter past midline. I was incredibly lucky since I've made a full recovery. I take coumadin (among other things) for severe dilated cardiomyopathy (very weak heart but was not due to heart disease. It was courtesy of getting a virus that wrecked it back when I used to work in critical care).
Anyway, on July 1st I underwent a craniotomy to relieve the pressure, they kept that part of my skull on ice (I hope to get it replaced in two more months).
Ok, thats 'background'. Today I was at my doctors office for a follow-up/progress report (a week ago, I sprung a leak at one of the surgical sites and was leaking cerebro-spinal fluid, had to go to emergency and have it sewn up again -finally got all of the stitches and staples out! ). While I was chatting with him, I asked him to keep an ear open for an unwanted Oxygen bottle (was looking for the kind used in oxy-acetylene cutting) and just before I was about to leave, he told me to wait a min., He had a medical O2 bottle, regulator and caddie that he wasn't using anymore (it was a spare) and I'd be welcome to it -he figured it was empty and if I needed a script to get it filled (I doubt welding gas outfits would have the right adapters to use the fill port on these -they aren't like the ones used in industrial settings) -I cracked open the bottle and it registered over a thousand pounds! Since I use about 2-4LPM for only 20secs (and a diffusion stone of course) this bottle should last ages!
SWEET!

IMAG0192.jpg

Post-Op in ICU.jpg

Post Craniotomy.Staples removed.jpg

Craniotomy scar side_view.jpg

Firstly, while at work at the end of June I had a subdural hemorrhage (brain bleed) -I was very lucky because I was already working in the ER when it happened -it was a decent size bleed and produced enough pressure to push my brain a centimeter past midline. I was incredibly lucky since I've made a full recovery. I take coumadin (among other things) for severe dilated cardiomyopathy (very weak heart but was not due to heart disease. It was courtesy of getting a virus that wrecked it back when I used to work in critical care).
Anyway, on July 1st I underwent a craniotomy to relieve the pressure, they kept that part of my skull on ice (I hope to get it replaced in two more months).
Ok, thats 'background'. Today I was at my doctors office for a follow-up/progress report (a week ago, I sprung a leak at one of the surgical sites and was leaking cerebro-spinal fluid, had to go to emergency and have it sewn up again -finally got all of the stitches and staples out! ). While I was chatting with him, I asked him to keep an ear open for an unwanted Oxygen bottle (was looking for the kind used in oxy-acetylene cutting) and just before I was about to leave, he told me to wait a min., He had a medical O2 bottle, regulator and caddie that he wasn't using anymore (it was a spare) and I'd be welcome to it -he figured it was empty and if I needed a script to get it filled (I doubt welding gas outfits would have the right adapters to use the fill port on these -they aren't like the ones used in industrial settings) -I cracked open the bottle and it registered over a thousand pounds! Since I use about 2-4LPM for only 20secs (and a diffusion stone of course) this bottle should last ages!
SWEET!

Awesome score man! Sorry about the health problems i know how that is, tho mine are no where NEAR as serious as yours, mine cant kill me, just cause a buttload of pain.

WOW! That is a great scar! Glad to hear you are doing much better now. An O2 stone is something I've been thinking about picking up myself. Although I do get pretty good results without much more than shaking or dropping wort from bucket height, I wonder how much better the yeast would be with an airstone.

WOW! That is a great scar! Glad to hear you are doing much better now. An O2 stone is something I've been thinking about picking up myself. Although I do get pretty good results without much more than shaking or dropping wort from bucket height, I wonder how much better the yeast would be with an airstone.

For a while I was using the stone and an aquarium pump (which works great, really -it just takes a bit more time but there isn't any rush anyway). The stone is definitely worth it.
SWMBO bought me this SS stone that is attached to a long SS tube (which accepts O2 tubing) -before she got me the stone, I was using one of those diffusion stones you use in fish tanks (they're cheap, but you need to weigh 'em down because they tended to float)

Cool score, I hope you feel better.

Thanks. Yeah I actually feel quite good. I was extremely fortunate -no neuro-deficits which is pretty rare. I was lucky as hell, really, to have been at work in the ER when it happened (instead of either at home or on the motorcycle). I was in the ICU 8 days -weak as a baby when I got out (slept a lot like one too-haha). SWMBO has been great this whole time -I certainly would not have done as well otherwise.

Be advised that most gas suppliers can fill it. Linweld and air gas in our area can fill them. Linweld fills them for me without a script, since all it is is hepa filtered oxygen.

Back