A good book for a beginner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Papazian, Homebrewers Companion.... read it twice, began my brewing hobby with AG with no issues. It is a super book!

How to Brew by John Palmer. I consider that my go-to book for everything brewing. There is a free skeleton book available online that you can check out before you buy it. I recommend the hard copy of the book, it has a bunch more stuff!

How to Brew by John Palmer. I consider that my go-to book for everything brewing. There is a free skeleton book available online that you can check out before you buy it. I recommend the hard copy of the book, it has a bunch more stuff!

+1 on How to Brew. Great book when just beginning, and then when you want to learn more. Well worth it. $13.57 on Amazon.

This is my recommendation. I have a full brewing library and these are the top four books in order of importance.

1. How to Brew, Palmer
2. The Joy of Home Brewing, Papazian
3. Radical Brewing, Mosher (Read this one after doing a few brews. It is great for ideas and recipes.)
4. The Home Brewers Companion, Papazian

For recipe formulation try:

5. Designing Great Beers, Ray Daniels

How to Brew - John Palmer
but also ...
The Home Brewer's Answer Book - Ashton Lewis...a very good read/guide for the new brewer

Here is the link for the online How to Brew by John Palmer... Sorry I didn't post earlier, I am in the middle of a yummy brewday...

Thanks a lot. I've decided to order both How to Brew and Home Brewers companion. got both for under 25 bucks. I'll read the link to get a good head start on it. Thanks again.

How to Brew. At any given point in time, whichever of that and Papazian has the more recent edition, and AFAIK right now it's How to Brew.

Don't overlook this one. I have read them all, and use them all from time to time, but the Dummies series can't be overlooked - I have consulted that one from time to time as well.

Don't overlook this one. I have read them all, and use them all from time to time, but the Dummies series can't be overlooked - I have consulted that one from time to time as well.

I've already put my two cents in, but seeing this second vote for Dummies made me want to explain why I like this book as well. I think the Dummies book is a good starting book, although he does tend to recommend secondary on everything, which I promptly ignored. The author provides some really nice step by step brew day check lists and also includes a small section on cider and mead, which I appreciated.

I think the Palmer book is great, I read it first, but I almost see it as a better second book for beer brewing, no info on cider or mead from what I remember. He goes into a lot of the detail and science of why things are happening. It's a great book, but may be more than some people need right off the bat.

Ah heck, read both, I did. Guess I have to pick up Papazian's book next!

I've already put my two cents in, but seeing this second vote for Dummies made me want to explain why I like this book as well. I think the Dummies book is a good starting book, although he does tend to recommend secondary on everything, which I promptly ignored. The author provides some really nice step by step brew day check lists and also includes a small section on cider and mead, which I appreciated.

I think the Palmer book is great, I read it first, but I almost see it as a better second book for beer brewing, no info on cider or mead from what I remember. He goes into a lot of the detail and science of why things are happening. It's a great book, but may be more than some people need right off the bat.

Ah heck, read both, I did. Guess I have to pick up Papazian's book next!

I may have to pick that up then, Mead was what actually got me into home brewing. Just a random decision to see if I could make mead one very late night. Had no equipment, no know how. saw a "poor mans" setup online. All it was, was an empty gallon milk jug, a few pounds of honey, an orange and some raisins, and a balloon. Made it in January and most of it is still sitting in the jug as we speak.

I did take a little out to age it in the refrigerator. For someone who was never a fan of wine it actually tastes pretty good. Very mild and sweet, and looks wonderful.

So a little more info on mead would be a good read to me.

Has anyone read "Brewing Classic Styles: 80 Winning Recipes Anyone Can Brew"? I thought this looked good as a recipe book and was thinking about picking it up?

Brewing classic styles is a great book. The author (Jamil Zainasheff) also has a pod cast on brewing network that covers all the styles in depth. About an hour per show. Funny and informative. It is called the Jamil Show.

Back