A four batch day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. First one was pretty close. You can see my notes in my recipe dropdown. Second attempt is in primary. I think it should be closer, but LHBS didn't have the L crystal I was looking for so this one will probably be a little dark. Should still be a good beer for mid-summer here in the south though.

how do you check the chat box on the video? I'd like to just look on there instead of having to come back to HBT all the time

I don't know. Lots of folks chatting on your feed though. Just popped up when I logged on. I know when I made the video full size it went away. So maybe try that??

lol yeah I know that, but I'm not a fan of speaking in public and well, this feels the same to me. Don't care if you can see me and hear me, feels the same

Hey all! Intending to do a four batch day today. Just mashed in at 7:20est for the first batch. i'm making: 11 gal Centennial wheat, 6 gal Amarillo IPA, 11 gal Amarillo/Citra PA, and 6 gal of an ESB, all my recipes. The hitch is I have to be done and cleaned up by 7pm for a poker night here at the house. Wish me luck!
tom

If I were to brew that long, I would be completely pissed by end of the day. Seriously ambitious day, hope you're fit enough in the end to deal cards.

Hope it all has or will go well for you!!!

Not exactly sure why the big rush. I enjoy taking my time and would rather use 4 days to brew 4 beers.

I watched on USTREAM (on and off) for most of this and he was amazingly efficient. No scrambling, Oh Sh1ts", he dealt with dogs, little kids in diapers, SWMBOs, and at least 2 useless profanity-spewing friends, narrated (which included carrying his laptop/webcam around to show us his beer room). I've done 2 in a day, but he made 4 look like nothing. And he doesn't even have a pump.

So, great job TomRep. Hope you don't lose it all tonight at the card table.

I watched on USTREAM (on and off) for most of this and he was amazingly efficient. No scrambling, Oh Sh1ts", he dealt with dogs, little kids in diapers, SWMBOs, and at least 2 useless profanity-spewing friends, narrated (which included carrying his laptop/webcam around to show us his beer room). I've done 2 in a day, but he made 4 look like nothing. And he doesn't even have a pump.

So, great job TomRep. Hope you don't lose it all tonight at the card table.

+1 and well said. I concur!

Okay, so an update on all this. Everything went extremely well. I didn't get done by 7pm, but we were waiting for people for poker anyway, so not a huge deal. I finished the last batch and most of the clean up at 8pm. Only "oh crap" moment was spilling a bit of iodine on my table, almost mashing in without my false bottom in the pot, and I forgot my FO Amarillo addition on the Amarillo IPA. Other then that, every batch went into the right yeast, no burns or falls, or spills. For those of you who tuned in, thanks! It was a lot of fun trying to chat with you all when I had a chance. I never did a live feed before, but I think it is something I will have to try again. As for the brews, all but one have nice krausen this morning and the one that doesn't will by noon I believe.
tom

ps, I came in second in poker. Got beat out with a Queen high flush to my Jack high, but I was on a straight flush draw so I had to do it. After cards and another game played, hit the sack at 1:00 am

Here you go bud:

Amarillo/Citra Pale Ale - American Pale Ale
================================================================================
Batch Size: 12.000 gal
Boil Size: 14.500 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Efficiency: 82%
OG: 1.057
FG: 1.014
ABV: 5.5%
Bitterness: 43.0 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 7 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 20.000 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 72% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 74% 40 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time IBU
Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus 13.2% 1.000 oz Boil 1.000 hr 21.2
Amarillo 7.5% 0.750 oz Boil 30.000 min 6.9
Citra, leaf 12.0% 0.625 oz Boil 20.000 min 7.3
Amarillo 7.5% 0.750 oz Boil 10.000 min 3.3
Citra, leaf 12.0% 0.625 oz Boil 10.000 min 4.4
Amarillo, leaf 9.4% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 1 week
Citra, leaf 12.0% 1.000 oz Dry Hop 1 week

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 2.232 tsp Primary

Mash
Name Type Target Time
Infusion 153.000 F 1.000 hr
Batch Sparge- Infusion 165.200 F 15.000 min

Let me know how you like it. I just dry hopped mine and plan to bottle next weekend. So far out of the four batches that day, I bottled the Centennial wheat today (106 12 oz bottles) and everything else is dry hopped. The ESB I did had pretty much no hop flavor in it, so I'm dry hopping to see what i can do.
tom

Let me know how you like it. I just dry hopped mine and plan to bottle next weekend. So far out of the four batches that day, I bottled the Centennial wheat today (106 12 oz bottles) and everything else is dry hopped. The ESB I did had pretty much no hop flavor in it, so I'm dry hopping to see what i can do.
tom

Brewed this on 7.25.10, dry hopped 8.2.10 kegged 8.16.10 and tapped 9.1.10

After sitting on tap for almost 2 weeks, this is one of the best beers I have brewed this far. Thanks Tom.

Latest posts

Back