a few "yeasty questions"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmeyer46

Reaction score
Ok, I understand that a lot of people frown on pitching right onto a yeast cake left from a previously fermented beer...not a problem, I can wash it.
now is where my question comes in.
sooooo....if a left over yeast cakes is too much, but I've now washed my yeast and have it separated into, oh say, 4 pint jars settling out, why do they recommend taking just one of those jars and making a starter?
Why not pitch two jars, since the whole pancake is too much?
I'm not opposed to making a starter, but can't use an erlenmeyer flask since I have an electric stove, so would making a wort, cooling and putting into a sterilized quart jar covered loosely with aluminum foil work?
Then just make the starter in that jar?
Also, since I don't have DME and would be making my starter from grain, would Maris Otter work as well as just plain ole two row?
I'll have both, just more Maris.
thanks for any imput! :)

I would guess the starter is recommended to wake up your yeast and verify vitality. If the yeast is fresh, sure, just pitch more. And yes, wort is just as good as DME, just for most people, DME is easier. And wort is wort, using pale, MO, pilsner, etc. Its just maltose that you want.

If you are brewing right after you empty the fermenter, just grab a 1-2 cups of the yeast cake and put in a sterilized jar while your wort is boiling. Then you can pitch that right into your new brew.

I have done that a few times with very goood success.

bmeyer46 said:
Ok, I understand that a lot of people frown on pitching right onto a yeast cake left from a previously fermented beer...not a problem, I can wash it.
now is where my question comes in.
sooooo....if a left over yeast cakes is too much, but I've now washed my yeast and have it separated into, oh say, 4 pint jars settling out, why do they recommend taking just one of those jars and making a starter?
Why not pitch two jars, since the whole pancake is too much?
I'm not opposed to making a starter, but can't use an erlenmeyer flask since I have an electric stove, so would making a wort, cooling and putting into a sterilized quart jar covered loosely with aluminum foil work?
Then just make the starter in that jar?
Also, since I don't have DME and would be making my starter from grain, would Maris Otter work as well as just plain ole two row?
I'll have both, just more Maris.
thanks for any imput! :)

First, I do a lot of reading on this forum and I've never heard anyone naysay pitching onto a cake...on the contrary, you might actually say it's recommended.

If you aren't going to use your cake shortly after racking the finished beer off of it, thats where washing comes in to play.

As far as your other questions.

No, a quart jar is too small to make a proper starter, assuming a typical batch size of 3 gal and up. No worries though, head to the grocery store and buy a big glass jug of apple juice. Drink the juice (or, better yet, make apfelwein with it...), there's your "flask." since your starter will be a liter or more, you need to accommodate that plus headspace for any yeast activity.

As far as your base malt, yes MO will be fine, just more expensive. Anyway, a gourmet meal for your little fungal friends every once in awhile is probably a nice gesture :). Hope that helps.

Oh, one more thing. If you are going through the trouble of mashing for starter juice, might as well make a sizable batch...say 5 or 6 liters, and freeze in one liter plastic waterbottles. Then, for future starters, just thaw, boil, and pitch. Time savings later make up for your investment (plus, grain is way cheaper than DME).

Ps...don't put that jug on a burner like you would a flask, that's not what I meant by, "there's your flask." JIK.

First, I do a lot of reading on this forum and I've never heard anyone naysay pitching onto a cake...on the contrary, you might actually say it's recommended..

its not recommended because unless its a much larger brew, its significantly overpitching. in most cases a cup or 2 of slurry is more than enough.

Back