A few bottling questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
I'm going to be bottling for the very first time later this week. I was just practicing with water and I think I got the hang of it. I just have 2 quick questions.

1. My filler drips a lot. Like, constantly. Is this normal? Seems like a big waste. My filler does not have a spring in it and I think this is why it doesn't have a good seal when the plunger isn't pushed up. Will getting a spring tip filler solve this problem? I think I'm going to get one anyway.

2. How do you prevent agitation when the beer first comes out of the filler into the bottle? It seemed like no matter how lightly I pressed up on the filler the water still splashed around until the tip was submerged. Is this little bit of agitation at the beginning normal and not harmful?

Thanks for the help, I'll add more questions if I have any.

I'd look around eventually for a spring loaded tip, in my experience, spring loaded valve doesn't drip.
As far as agitation, it'll be a little turbulent until it gets submerged, RDWHAHB (Relax, Don't Worry, Have A Home Brew). ;)

I'm going to be bottling for the very first time later this week. I was just practicing with water and I think I got the hang of it. I just have 2 quick questions.

1. My filler drips a lot. Like, constantly. Is this normal? Seems like a big waste. My filler does not have a spring in it and I think this is why it doesn't have a good seal when the plunger isn't pushed up. Will getting a spring tip filler solve this problem? I think I'm going to get one anyway.

Yep, get a spring.

2. How do you prevent agitation when the beer first comes out of the filler into the bottle? It seemed like no matter how lightly I pressed up on the filler the water still splashed around until the tip was submerged. Is this little bit of agitation at the beginning normal and not harmful?

Agitation in the bottle is normal.

Thanks for the help, I'll add more questions if I have any.

Good luck and post back with your results please.

Thanks guys! My girlfriend is going to stop by the LHBS and pick up a spring tip for me (the store is closer to her house than mine).

If you play around, you can at least minimize the agitation when you start the flow. Usually through a combination of pointing into the corner of the bottle at the right angle and opening the valve at just the right speed, I can keep it from doing more than swirling around a little bit.

+10 on the spring tip (get an extra if you are prone to losing little doodads like the spring...)

If you play around, you can at least minimize the agitation when you start the flow. Usually through a combination of pointing into the corner of the bottle at the right angle and opening the valve at just the right speed, I can keep it from doing more than swirling around a little bit.

+10 on the spring tip (get an extra if you are prone to losing little doodads like the spring...)

Good tip, I can see how pouring in the corner and tilting the bottle would concentrate the liquid and allow the tip to be submerged quicker.

Thanks for the link. I read over that thread a week or two ago, tons of good info there. I bought a 3/4" pvc elbow to make a dip tube for my bottling bucket but the threads don't quite match up with my sipgot threads (I had the spigot with me when picking out the pvc, the 3/4" was the best fit but still not great). Anybody else have this issue?

Back