A easier mash schedule for millet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVILEMRE

Reaction score
I've been following Andrew Lavery's mash schedule for a millet brew. It was written in 2006 and some new techniques must now exist. It works well but it seems like others doing this are using a simpler method and getting positive results. Anyone have a thread I can follow or some decent instructions.

Check out Ig's "Dialing in millet mash". I actually have some input for that thread as soon as I bottle this next beer.

The mash schedule I propose is 163F and then drop it to normal sacch temperature of 148-158 depending on style. I believe time is a big factor in this. Currently, I use 30 minutes and 30 minutes. I am going to try 163F for 15 and 150F for 45 minutes on my next batch.... of "milletwine"! :cool:

Further steps can fine tune your beer but, this one is easy. Hope this helps.

I have been tinkering with this also and will be wrestling with the "just put in more grain" or commit to a longer mash! This thread got me thinking about the length of the final rest:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/gf-ag-first-attempt-questions-463175/

I got great conversion when I lengthened my final rest to 90 min. I use diatase enzyme for the final rest but still did not pass the starch test. Not sure if the reason for failing the starch test is that I didn't pull enzyme rich liquid forward or that buckwheat just leaves a bunch of stubborn starch. Will post after I taste the latest batch.

I followed Andrew's schedule exactly and had great conversion. I used pale millet and roasted a little for colour. I am about to attempt a porter, or a stout, depending on what I end up with when I roast some buckwheat. I didn't add any enzymes on my first batch, other than scooping out the enzymes as per Andrew's instructions. When adding buckwheat or adjuncts such as flaked oats or flaked corn require an enzyme addition to the mash?
I'm drinking my first millet beer right now and I have to say I'm proud. It tastes great. And my head is starting to spin. Nothing better than being slightly drunk off your own beer. Or completely drunk, whatever.

I was recently diagnosed with CD and have been doing some research on GF brewing. After seeing a number of AG recipes using millet, I was excited to brew. But then I read Andrew Lavery's mash regime (docoction IIRC) and it's so complicated and involved, I have no interest in trying.

I was wondering if anyone has landed on an easier mash schedule for millet given the discussion above.

EDIT: Just noticed this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/single-infusion-mash-millet-too-good-true-511974/

Back