A couple questions on secondary regulators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ResumeMan

Reaction score
Howdy HBT,

I'm looking to replace my current jury-rigged kegging setup with a keezer. As part of that I want to have a bank of secondary regulators so that I can adjust the pressure in different kegs. There's a couple things my initial searching hasn't turned up.

First of all, I have seen a number of different designs. For example the Beverage Factory has the "Secondary Regulator" and the "Premium Secondary Regulator" lines. Is it just a matter of the Premium being more robust MoC, or is there something more significant between them? These aren't the only two types, just two that happen to be on one page.

My main question though, is are all of the secondary regs in a bank like that independent? That is, coming out of the main reg, can I have the first one at 12 psi, the 2nd one at 30 psi, and the third at 20? Or are they all in a line, and need to be reduced sequentially (Main > 30 > 20 > 12)? Would certainly be more convenient if they're independent.

Thanks

They are independent the center line will be what is in the tank pressure.
As far as regs. then Micro-matics are chrome plated and use a nickle seat it's more of a bling factor.

Not sure what "center line" means, but most secondary regulators have a minimum differential pressure (from input to output) around 5 psi, so the primary has to be set 5 psi higher than the highest setting on the bank of secondaries. Beyond that, the secondaries are totally independent...

Cheers!

Resumeman - The links you provided have the same setup, each takes tank pressure and outputs 0-whatever pressure, independent of the others. They're cascaded off the high-pressure port of the preceeding regulator, that's why they all get tank pressure. Some other designs have more of a step approach, similar to a scuba setup (tank pressure-> ~130 psi -> ambient psi).

So yes, you can serve each keg at whatever PSI and you don't have to worry about the order in which the regulators are in.

Back