A couple noob AG questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
1. Does the sparge water pot and the MLT have to be sanitized. I wasn't sure if it did since I am going to be boiling the contents of these after.

2. Does anything special have to be done to an aluminum pot before boiling in it? I thought I read somewhere that water has to be boiled in it for 30 minutes to build up some sort of protective layer, but I searched and can't find the info that I had found.

3. Where do you guys get your digital thermometers and long stirring spoons at? I went to meijers, kroger, and walmart and the only ones they had were for meats, and none of the spoons were very long.

4. I am building Flyguy's MLT cooler conversion. In regards to the brass square head plug, what size is that? Is it 3/8"?

If I can think of any more i'll post them in this thread (after i've done a search though).

1. No just clean

2. Yes boil water for 30-60 minutes before brewing with it.

3. I found my digital with timer a Target for $15.

4. I think it is 3/8, but I do not remember off the top of my head.

Home brew shops have a very inexpensive plastic mash paddle that works for all but the largest 10 gallon grain bills.

My favorite thermometer is the yellow waterproof one that target.com sells for $15.

Yeah, the long stirring spoons will be hard to find except in HB shops.

I got a waterproof digital thermometer (Taylor, I think - red one) for under $20 at Meijer or Target.

you can also find oven thermometers with long braided cord for the probe. slide some aquarium airline up the probe so the braid is covered, and zip tie it. makes it waterproof and good for brewing.

re: 4, you can just fold the braid over twice and crimp it with pliers. That's what I did after the plug came out twice while stirring...

You can also get a 3/8 nylon or copper tee and make a loop of braid at the end, and a short piece of braid to connect it to the bulkhead. I did this to get more coverage for faster sparging, and it gave me a little bump in efficiency as well.

My favorite thermometer is the yellow waterproof one that target.com sells for $15.[/QUOTE]

Bobby, thanks for always posting such helpful info. I've read many of your posts and they help me learn a ton.

I am slowly collecting the gear needed for AG and tonight I am going to buy the thermometer you mentioned. When I went to target.com, I saw a yellow one for 14.99 and then I saw a yellow waterproof one for $19.99. Could you please advise on which one is better for a future batch sparger. I don't mind spending some extra money to get a higher quality/more useful product.

Thanks.

Edit: I just noticed that you did say "waterproof," so it must be the one that is now $19.99. 5 days of an insane schedule inhibits brain functionality.

I get my Brewing Thermometers at the local Grocery Store. I simply Drill a Tiny Hole in the lid, and I pass the Proble into the Mash tun so that the Probe sits in the Mash. I then seal the Drilled out Hole with some Silicone Caulking. Hence, I have my my Digital Read Out on top of the Mash Tun. It has been working for me now for years.

Where do you guys get your digital thermometers and long stirring spoons at? I went to meijers, kroger, and walmart and the only ones they had were for meats.

What have you got against meat thermometers? :D

Meat_Tun.jpg

Just wish I could find a good meat thermometer that is accurate or one that I can reset. I have around 3, and they all suck. At least I have had some luck with the small digital ones I have been able to pick up at resturant supply stores and one from WalMart. (who knew, but some of these threads mentioned Targets which we don't have here yet.)

Thanks for these tips guys. I was afraid to ask the questions, but you guys were more then helpful.

Hey Ryan

could you post what bulkhead you used to add the meat Thermometer to your MLT?

Sorry not Ryan, Blind Lemon

could you post what bulkhead you used to add the meat Thermometer to your MLT?

It's the one from Northern Brewer, but I'm not crazy about it. Seems it's too small for the pro thermometers I've got, and too big for the cheapo ones...it took some fiddling to keep it from leaking. Next time, I'm just going to come up with my own design with parts from the hardware store. (Which really is all they are doing.) The thermometer itself was just a few bucks, and it reads within a degree of my pricey ones.

kk-thermothingy.jpg

Back