A couple newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whip

Reaction score
I racked my first ever batch 5 days ago, an English Brown Ale from an extract kit with specialty grains.

I've noticed that the airlock is bubbling much slower now that it was at the start. Logically speaking, this should be normal.

I was also wondering if it is possible to kick up the ABV by adding some more fermentables when the beer is racked for secondary fermentation? If so, what would be the best thing to add? I was thinking about adding some brown sugar dissolved in a cup of water and then chilled down to about 80 degrees or lower.

Of course I could just follow the damn recipe like I'm supposed to, but I can't help tinkering. The flip side is that, this being my first batch ever, I should probably just stick with the recipe as is. That way I have something to go on if I tweek it in the future.

Thanks in advance for any advice, humor or sarcasm! All are welcome in good nature! :cool:

+1 to getting a feel for your process first.
Make a few beers according to the instructions, experience the results, read here for info and advice on how to change & improve your process and implement what you learn here to develop your own methods.
Welcome to the never ending improvement process : ))

Thanks for the advice. I agree with following the recipe and that's what I'm going to do with my first couple of batches.

You were given good advice. I have messed up so many good beers with my urge to tinker.
After 4 years of fanatical brewing I now have 1 of my own recipes that I am slowly changing and trying different yeasts with.

If you have more than one fermenter for get the secondary next time unless you are adding something like fruit or coco-nibs. No Need to "secondary" for a normal ale. Kit instructions are written to get you thru fast and then to buy another.

Unless you are in a BIG RUSH, next time 3 weeks in primary to let your yeasties finish eating the sugars and then clean themselves up. Another 3 weeks in bottles at 70* and then bottle.

I would stick with the recipe, but you should mess with it if you want, because you are the brewer. You need to make mistakes in whatever way works for you. But make no mistake; you need to make mistakes.

Now, in response to your question preceding, "I was also wondering...," my answer is, "I was also going to say..." :)

and congrats on 1st batch!

Back