A Cool Twist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullinachinashop

Reaction score
So far I have 1 5 gal batch in the fermentor.

# 2 is on for today.

Here's what I'm doing to deal with slower cooling times due to warmer chiller water.

I start with a BIAB setup with closer to 1 qt/lbs. Adjusted water and proper ph. 90 min mash with mash out, squeeze, collect and move grain bag to ZapPap lauter tun. Sparge with 170 degree water until I reach 5.5 gal

Boil as usual, adjusting hops for the slightly concentrated boil.

Then after chilling to about 80 degrees, I add 1 gallon of partially frozen spring water.

This chills the wort quickly to 65 +/- degrees for pitching. :rockin:

Last time I got better than 75% eff.

The results aren't in yet, but I think every will be fine.

Bull

that'll work! for me I just purchased a small pond pump and have it sitting in my cooler filled with ice and water. I run my IC with tap water until it gets below 100F and then hook the IC to the pump and recirculate the water back into the cooler. I get to pitching temps pretty quick that way.

of course that just how "I" do it.. the nice thing about brewing is you can find what works for you and still make great beer

that'll work! for me I just purchased a small pond pump and have it sitting in my cooler filled with ice and water. I run my IC with tap water until it gets below 100F and then hook the IC to the pump and recirculate the water back into the cooler. I get to pitching temps pretty quick that way.

of course that just how "I" do it.. the nice thing about brewing is you can find what works for you and still make great beer

+ 1 This is also how "I" do it. :mug:

Back