A brew machine for a submarine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

incruente

Reaction score
Okay, so it won't be going ON the submarine. But my CO has decided that our vessel, the USS Colorado, will need a commissioning beer. We might job it out to a small local brewery, but I've wanted a brew machine for a long time anyway, and this is the perfect excuse. This thread is more for me to organize my thoughts and get suggestions than to inform; there are a lot of threads on how to do this right. This isn't one of them.

I want the commissioning brew to have two recipes; a partial mash that most home brewers could duplicate, and a full grain for the hardcore types. We'll need a lot, and it isn't practical for me to build a 100-gallon machine, so consistency is important. This much heat demands propane or a dedicated 240V circuit; I like portability and being able to set up anywhere, so propane it is.

I've never liked the three-vessel systems. One tank to heat water, another to steep grain, and a third for the boil? Not for me, thanks. I'm not at the level where it will matter. But one tank? Yes, please. Heat the water, add the grain and steep it, then remove it and proceed with the boil. BIAB all the way, even if I lose a few percent efficiency.

So I'm looking at a keggle with propane heat. A stainless steel pot drilled with holes and lined with a mesh bag for adding grain. A winch to lift the basket out and hold it in place if I decide a sparge is necessary. For heating sparge water, either a large kettle (big coffee urn?) or, and I'm liking this idea, an on-demand water heater. The keggle can be insulated for heat retention. A pump to circulate the wort from the bottom to the top and, when the time comes, drive it through a heat exchanger to cool it before it goes into the fermenting buckets.

A bit of automation would be nice, for consistency. So a thermometer on the pump inlet, a pump control, a pilot light, and a propane control valve.

I had thought about a water jacket for the keggle. Heat water separately (on-demand water heater again?) and pump it through the jacket to heat, pump cold water to cool. But that demands a second pump if I want to circulate the wort, and I'm not sure how good of a boil I'll get.

Like I said, very preliminary. Thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.

As a former bubblehead, I can help you. Im a plankowner on 773. Knowing how we like to drink, you may need a good 7bbl brew. Are you in Groton or NNSY? I'd farm it out to a local brewery and just give the recipe to those that want it.

The last of the 688s! Workhorse of the fleet! I miss them a bit already. I probably should farm this job out...I just want the excuse to build a ten-gallon machine. We're in Groton. I just hope we STAY here.

The last of the 688s! Workhorse of the fleet! I miss them a bit already. I probably should farm this job out...I just want the excuse to build a ten-gallon machine. We're in Groton. I just hope we STAY here.

As I said, I can donate a keggle, with thermowell and a temperature controller controlled burner w/ pilot

Your at EB or the base? Sure would love a tour

If you're sure you're comfortable making a donation, I'd deeply appreciate it. I can put the gear to good use, and of course there's a big dose of the final product with your name on it.

I'm at EB, and they're kind of sticklers about need to know. That being said, the boat will be at the base soon enough, and it's a 50/50 shot I can clear it with the skipper.

Understood, same at NNSY. Yea that's what I thinking, a tour at Groton. My wife is from Mass and we live in Pittsburgh, but make trips to visit. Aprox when will you guys be out of the yards? I will be up for Thanksgiving or Christmas, don't know which one yet and can bring the equipment. Is that ok? Or do you need it faster? If so I may be able to meet you. I also have my cooler mash tun with auto sparge I can throw in.

I like your style. I'm a surface dude but my brother is a submariner(when I was in Hawaii in 02-05 I lived with a bunch of nukes off 763), his third boat was actually 773. Check out Biermunchers Cream of Three Crops, that would be a great one to brew up on the cheap and make a lot of. I am assuming you are going to keg it, that's going to be a lot of kegs.

Understood, same at NNSY. Yea that's what I thinking, a tour at Groton. My wife is from Mass and we live in Pittsburgh, but make trips to visit. Aprox when will you guys be out of the yards? I will be up for Thanksgiving or Christmas, don't know which one yet and can bring the equipment. Is that ok? Or do you need it faster? If so I may be able to meet you. I also have my cooler mash tun with auto sparge I can throw in.

A tour of Groton would be no problem. If you can wait a while for things to get sorted, I can probably get that tour to include a boat; otherwise, it would just be a lot of buildings. In theory, we'll be out of the yards in about two years (I'm still amazed at how long this can take). And if you're willing to be that patient, I'm not at bothered by waiting for Thanksgiving or Christmas; I still have a lot to do to sort out the recipe. I won't be making it on scale for a while yet.

A tour of Groton would be no problem. If you can wait a while for things to get sorted, I can probably get that tour to include a boat; otherwise, it would just be a lot of buildings. In theory, we'll be out of the yards in about two years (I'm still amazed at how long this can take). And if you're willing to be that patient, I'm not at bothered by waiting for Thanksgiving or Christmas; I still have a lot to do to sort out the recipe. I won't be making it on scale for a while yet.

Last time I tried, I contacted squadron, if there is anything you can do to help with a tour of an in port 88i that would be great. I could care less to see my A school building or that crappy chow hall again.

Fellow Navy (NECC side) - great idea here.

You say you want to keep it portable and are leaning towards propane, but then say you want to use an instant-hot water heater for sparge water. Do you plan to get one of the RV type heaters that also run off propane, or go electric like most of the types out there (which limits your mobility again).

I'd also suggest contracting out - by the time you build your setup, develop a recipe, run a small batch to test, modify and adjust, and then start production - you're going to have a lot of work to brew up enough grog for the ceremony. A local brewery, given the right marketing on your end, would probably be happy to do it at a discount and may even try to make it a beer they sell locally with some sort of Navy tie-in.

Fair winds and following seas,
-Kevin

Sounds like a good project.

I work for the company that built the reactor and steam generator for your sub. It is a very cool process. Maybe a little overpowered for a home brew operation.

BadNewsBrewery, I mostly mean "portable" as in I can take it to another house or something. A small electric on-demand heater or large coffee urn is something I think I could run off an extension cord. Going all-electric, though, would require a beefier circuit than most people have.

riderkb, that's fascinating. A lot of us were just at KAPL learning about the process. My engineer was saying he'd love to go up there and see some of it first hand. Is he just dreaming, or could some of us come see what's what?

Nothing to add, but I am a bubblehead as well. I was ELT on USS Seahorse (SSN-669) in another life...stationed out of Charleston.

Talk about a statement that could age a guy. That's like saying I called Blockbuster video from my rotary phone.

Oh yeah, and I like beer, too.

ELT1 (SS,CIV) from the USS Jacksonville (ssn699)

I wish we had a boat beer. I heard of other boats getting a barrel of JD or something along those lines... But the lady J was always concerned with promoting a non intoxicated sailor image..

Honestly, I think farming it out to a local brewer is your best bet, then distribute the recipe. And then brew it on your beer machine.

Ps, I'm wearing my coner sweater.

BadNewsBrewery, I mostly mean "portable" as in I can take it to another house or something. A small electric on-demand heater or large coffee urn is something I think I could run off an extension cord. Going all-electric, though, would require a beefier circuit than most people have.

riderkb, that's fascinating. A lot of us were just at KAPL learning about the process. My engineer was saying he'd love to go up there and see some of it first hand. Is he just dreaming, or could some of us come see what's what?

We can't have casual visitors at our facility, but if you have a clearance and are on official business it is worth the trip. I see new stuff all the time that blows my mind. We make things that are huge but have super tight tolerances, often out of bizarre materials that are beautiful and dangerous, then we pack them up so that nobody can see them.

I would love to see one in action.

We can't have casual visitors at our facility, but if you have a clearance and are on official business it is worth the trip. I see new stuff all the time that blows my mind. We make things that are huge but have super tight tolerances, often out of bizarre materials that are beautiful and dangerous, then we pack them up so that nobody can see them.

I would love to see one in action.

Aside from my Navy experience, I have also been to just about every commercial nuclear power plant working for Westinghouse. I wish they would buy a Navy core, the 18mo cycle sucks.

I'd like to thank everyone for their ideas and support. I'll be leaving soon to support a vessel in need, and won't be posting or responding until next year. Happy brewing!

Good Morning,

I saw this thread and had to see what I can do to help out some fellow bubbleheads. Ok so first things first, I am stationed in Groton as well on the USS Springfield (SSN-761). I would really like to be a part of helping in any way that I can for not only with the beer and brewing it but also for the tours. Ill get the easy part out of the way. If anyone is looking for a tour on a 688i I can defiantly take care of that. As far as a Virginia Class (like the Colorado) I can't guarantee anything but i have a lot of people I can contact to try to make it happen. So if anyone is interested just send me a PM with your information and I will contact you. I just don't want to put my number in this.

Ok for the beer. I am working on building my setup so I can really increase my production but I don't think it would be where you need it to be to brew as much as you are looking for. I agree with the recommendations about doing a contract brew. There are quite a few local small breweries up here that would be great places to see if they can help you out, and they would probably be able to do all of what you need in one batch. Now if you want the pride in saying you made it all, and i can see that. Then let me know what you need and I will be more than willing to assist. I have quite a bit of equipment already and I am doing all grain so we can go that route also. As far as the recipe here is my thoughts. So I have been coming up with recipes to incorporate submarine life and I have some great ideas I can bounce off of you but what Im thinking is bringing the State of Colorado and the Submarine Force together and making a beer with ingredients that represent both of them. Just an idea and if you are interested I will definitely help out. My name is Brian and if anyone has anything they need from me please PM me and we can go from there.

Back