A big **** you to Chugger Pumps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

indianaroller

Reaction score
So I am in need of a replacement motor for my chugger pump. I called chugger to purchase one. After some questions the sales guy told me he could not sell me a motor. He said they just cant do that. I asked him if he could tell me who manufactures the motor so I could find one myself. He said they make it and no other motor will fit the head.

Is this guy true in saying no other motor will fit the pump head? Does the motor on the march pumps fit the chugger? From pictures it looks like it would.

I was offered a brand new poly chugger pump for $90 but I would rather not give these guys more money.

What did you do to your pump from what I have ready they have really good service.

Look around your area and see if there is a motor rebuilder. id bet they can make it more durable then factory. if all else fails look on the internet or pm me and ill get you the info from the rebuilder here in marion

Post a pic of the motor I see all types of motors and I am sure that motor isn't made just for them. Hilly

What did you do to your pump from what I have ready they have really good service.

The pump stops running after 15-20 min of use. Then starts back up after 15 min. It sounds like it is getting overheated but the other chugger I have does not do this. And that pump is one of the originals.

The pump in question recirculates the mash. Last time it stopped mid mash. The mash burner hardly ever kicked on because it was so hot outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The pump stops running after 15-20 min of use. Then starts back up after 15 min. It sounds like it is getting overheated but the other chugger I have does not do this. And that pump is one of the originals.

The pump in question recirculates the mash. Last time it stopped mid mash. The mash burner hardly ever kicked on because it was so hot outside.

If you take the head off and run the motor without the head for a half hour, does it stop working?

Is this motor inside some kind of enclosure?

I had this problem once and it was because the motor was binding due to my shelf being slightly higher than my plumbing. Made the adjustment and haven't had a problem since.

If you take the head off and run the motor without the head for a half hour, does it stop working?

Is this motor inside some kind of enclosure?

I don't know. I'll have to hook the pump back up and try. What would this prove?

The pump has a piece of flashing over it to protect in from splashes.

Maybe run a fan on the motor? On hot days, one of mine would occasionally cut out, I now just keep a little fan blasting at the back of the motors.

I don't know. I'll have to hook the pump back up and try. What would this prove?

The pump has a piece of flashing over it to protect in from splashes.

If the motor doesn't fail while the head isn't on it, then perhaps something could be done to the head to make the motor work. I've heard that some heads have to be drilled out a tiny bit to make them work right.

If the motor fails while the head isn't on it, then it's definitely not the head that's the problem.

If you remove the flashing and the motor (with the head on it) works fine, then your flashing is stopping too much air flow.

The whole thread is a bit surprising, given the past history of Chugger has consistently been to almost fall over themselves helping out their customers...

Cheers!

Chugger possibly has the best customer service in the business. Now that they are wholesale only, their dealers are expected to have similar customer service. Posting a f*ck you thread about them probably isn't the best way to get that service. I'm sure there's a reasonable business reason they don't want to sell motors alone (whether it's up to your satisfaction or not) but the tone of your post sucks. If things were different, I would have deconstructed a pump and sold the motor to you.

Chugger possibly has the best customer service in the business. Now that they are wholesale only, their dealers are expected to have similar customer service. Posting a f*ck you thread about them probably isn't the best way to get that service. I'm sure there's a reasonable business reason they don't want to sell motors alone (whether it's up to your satisfaction or not) but the tone of your post sucks. If things were different, I would have deconstructed a pump and sold the motor to you.

I purchased a product from them and now need to BUY a replacement part from them. They have it but won't sell it to me. And, according to them, they are the only ones with a motor that will fit the head. I tried.

So I am in need of a replacement motor for my chugger pump. I called chugger to purchase one. After some questions the sales guy told me he could not sell me a motor. He said they just cant do that. I asked him if he could tell me who manufactures the motor so I could find one myself. He said they make it and no other motor will fit the head.

Is this guy true in saying no other motor will fit the pump head? Does the motor on the march pumps fit the chugger? From pictures it looks like it would.

I was offered a brand new poly chugger pump for $90 but I would rather not give these guys more money.

The chuggers are a knock off of the March pumps so a march motor would work. Most likely the motor bracket (O) that connects the motor to the pump head isn't lined up quite correctly and causing the magnet (L) to rub and bind on the back side of the rear volute housing (I). Loosen the M screws and adjust the motor bracket to center up the magnet in the housing.

http://www.marchpump.com/storage/966/files/0809-0053-1100.pdf

Do the suggestions and see if the pump is still turning off. You're either overheating or it's binding up.

Do the suggestions and see if the pump is still turning off. You're either overheating or it's binding up.

I am working on them now. I'll report back soon.

I have SS center inlet chugger heads on my march pumps 815s, so ya... It fits, but I'm guessing even if they sold a motor, it would probably be close enough to full cost anyway.

It sucks they're not trying to get you taken care of or helping you figure out the issue or offering to look at it/repair...etc.

The chuggers are a knock off of the March pumps so a march motor would work. Most likely the motor bracket (O) that connects the motor to the pump head isn't lined up quite correctly and causing the magnet (L) to rub and bind on the back side of the rear volute housing (I). Loosen the M screws and adjust the motor bracket to center up the magnet in the housing.

http://www.marchpump.com/storage/966/files/0809-0053-1100.pdf

It is working after doing this. Not sure if I really fixed it but it is working now.

Chugger said this motors are splash resistant. Would it not course problems getting wort/water on the motor coils?

It is working after doing this. Not sure if I really fixed it but it is working now.

Chugger said this motors are splash resistant. Would it not course problems getting wort/water on the motor coils?

My understanding is if liquid damages the pump, they replace it.

Two times, due to my own fault, I needed parts from Chugger and they bent over backwards to help me out, and didn't even charge me a cent, not even for shipping.

Just putting it out there for others that read this to hear another perspective on the customer service of Chugger.

Two times, due to my own fault, I needed parts from Chugger and they bent over backwards to help me out, and didn't even charge me a cent, not even for shipping.

Just putting it out there for others that read this to hear another perspective on the customer service of Chugger.

Same here... I offered to buy some replacement o-rings and thrust washers, but they said no. Sent them free of charge including shipping.
Chugger service is second to none.

I fail to see the f**k you attitude in the OP. Just a straight forward description of what happened and an unsatisfactory outcome from a customer perspective.
Makes me want to reconsider adding a Chugger pump to my system & just stick w/ March.
Your belligerent tone is distressing as well.

I fail to see the f**k you attitude in the OP. Just a straight forward description of what happened and an unsatisfactory outcome from a customer perspective.
Makes me want to reconsider adding a Chugger pump to my system & just stick w/ March.

It's right there in the thread title. That' wasn't "thank you" that got bleeped out.

The OP literally posted "F**K you chugger pumps" as the thread title and my stepping in to defend a good company is belligerent? Please read it again slowly. It's completely reasonable to be disappointed when a vendor doesn't do exactly what you think they should. It's how he went about it that rubs me the wrong way.

The part I like all along is how he had a housing over it that was making it overheat. **** them tho

The part I like all along is how he had a housing over it that was making it overheat. **** them tho

If the piece of flashing I have suspended over the pump is causing it to over heat then I also need to remove my kettles. When I was testing the pump, I had it on my garage floor recirculating cold tap water. After 20 minutes in 75 degree ambient temps, the motor got so hot I couldn't touch it. There is defiantly a lot less air coming off the fan then my other chugger.

And I stand by my belligerent rant.

I know this does not help...or maybe it will: If it were me, I'd just buy another pump and use the old one for future parts.

Moderators should feel free to delete this thread. The title is simply out of place in the HomeBrewTalk community.

I thought about it, but I'd prefer to avoid censorship when possible. Maybe something positive comes of it. Stranger things have happened.

I reserve the right to change my mind later :)

Do you want to change the title to "Poor customer service from Chugger Pumps"?

I appreciate the title. Why should people get ripped off and be expected to bend over quietly? Though I probably still would have read this thread if it said poor customer service...

March motor should fit. It costs more than $90 though and isn't very durable. I dropped my pump less than a foot and it won't spin at all now. I have no idea why they don't use cheaper motors.

I appreciate the title. Why should people get ripped off and be expected to bend over quietly? Though I probably still would have read this thread if it said poor customer service...

March motor should fit. It costs more than $90 though and isn't very durable. I dropped my pump less than a foot and it won't spin at all now. I have no idea why they don't use cheaper motors.

The problem seemed to go away after he loosened the screws mounting the head to the motor and then shifted the head a bit and then re-tightened the screws.

Personally, I wouldn't have started a thread without trying this first.

The problem seemed to go away after he loosened the screws mounting the head to the motor and then shifted the head a bit and then re-tightened the screws.

Personally, I wouldn't have started a thread without trying this first.

Maybe. But this thread isn't bashing a pump.

I get the OPs frustration, and though I didn't handle things the way he did, I had a very poor experience with the owner on the phone. I still bought the product from him and it works well, but their CS has it's lapses, and that's fair game. OP, I'd change the thread title if I were you. You have a right to discuss your issues with them (if you've exhausted all other remedies), but fact is, the title is inflamatory.

I think a reminder from time to time to businesses who's customer service could really use some polish, is free game in a capitalistic economy. It should serve as a reminder to ALL the retailers who post on this site too BTW....

It doesn't matter what I think, but he's personally saying, "F-U" because he had the experience he had. So why censor him, or get him to change it?

I'm not saying they have good, bad or mediocre customer service. But it doesn't seem like they did anything to help solve the problem either. So he is frustrated and said, "f-u guys."

He gave them the chance to help out when he called (before he posted this)

I've done sales a long time, and I know about customer service.

When he asked to buy the motor, why didn't they trouble shoot the issue first. First thing I would've thought was, why do you think you need a new motor? Let's try this first... Or that.

Why didn't they help him figure out the head needed to be adjusted? Why didn't they offer to take it in and look at it? They could've done something to help out, but apparently they didn't. So he is saying, "F-U then." It's not like the pump stopped working and he posted this with out trying to fix it.

Plus, If the title was, "the chugger pump company is.... [insert profanity here]“ then I can understand the encouragement to change. Since it's calling the company a crappy one over one experience.

So get off the dude and let him tell the company how he feels based off his experience. They can use it for bettering their service. Plus it's not going to hurt them anyway. Especially when people (like the guy above) buy their product and support them even though the owner was rude or whatever over the phone.

It's just like walmart. We all hate them, but still buy or cheap crap from then because we want to save money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back