A big "ahoj" and a small question from the Czech Rep.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XIL_Brew

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've been reading the forum for a while, and thought it's about time to join in - not because I feel I have great deal to contribute, but mostly because lurking gets boring after a while...

Since I'm here to learn, I'll start by going off topic in an intro thread, and ask all you seasoned brewers out there an "easy" question:

What the 5 things you wished someone told you about brewing before you started?

Cheers guys, look forward to be a part of the community!

(Drinking a Klostermann, a fantastic amber lager from a great brewery in Strakonice, right now...) :mug:

control your ferm temps, don't believe the generic kit instructions, join a club, make a yeast starter for big beers, and control your fermentation temps again

Thanks! :)

I'm planning a partial mash for my next one, so might do a yeast starter too... Not done that yet - just rehydrating dried yeast...

Thanks! :)

I'm planning a partial mash for my next one, so might do a yeast starter too... Not done that yet - just rehydrating dried yeast...

I am making a pretty high gravity cider (OG 1.110 shooting for 11-ish % alcohol) and made a yeast starter. Glad I made the starter too. 4 days after pitching it is going strong. Tomorrow I'll take a gravity reading and see where we stand. Yeast starters are fun and for higher gravity brews, very important.

So, my 5 things?

1. Starters... Very necessary if doing big batches or shooting for higher OG brews.

2. Don't sweat the small stuff. Though things like sanitation, temperature of fermentation and quality of ingredients are important, homebrewing is pretty easy. Tiny changes in the nuance and detail can make for big changes in the final product. In the end, most of what you make is drinkable and enjoyable. Don't worry. Have fun playing and experimenting.

3. People down right respect homebrewers. Before I stared homebrewing, no one had any idea I even existed. Now that I'm homebrewing, I get invited to all big parties. Every where. It's starting to annoy the wife. She's all like, "Really? You are going out tonight, again?" And I'm all, "But honey, PDiddy invited me. I've got to go." And she's all like, "Ok, but be back by tomorrow night!" And I'm all, "No problem, PDiddy said he'll fly me back by 5 tomorrow evening". Seriously wife? Get off my back, I'm a homebrewer now!

4. Women find homebrewing totally HOT! I used to get the cold shoulder when out at bars and clubs. Not any more. Now that I'm a homebrewer, chicks are slipping me their numbers all the time. Another thing that annoys the wife.

5. All the promotions! Before homebrewing I was stuck at my go-no-where job. Alone is some tiny cubical. Now that I'm homebrewing, I've gotten like 4 promotions, with raises! I bought a new car with the bonuses alone.

But mostly the starter and have fun thing.

There are a couple of threads that have this same idea behind them. If you find it you will get a TON of opinions.

I think my 5 are:

1. Fermentation Temps
2. Lots of Healthy yeast (mrmalty.com has a calculator)
3. Read up on brewing and go by what the books say, not what they instructions that come with the can of extract.
4. Patience. Check gravity before bottling!
5. RDWHAHB!

I wish I had known how addictive it is. I go into withdrawls when I cannot ferment something,even if it is something I am not interested in drinking(for the other half)

Nothing to add to the lists above. I just wanted to say welcome. I lived in a village outside Zlin for 3 years and absolutely loved it. We spent last Christmas to New Years there visiting old friends. Unfortunately my slivovice stash is already almost gone.

Back