96% efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triskelion

Reaction score
I made this recipe expecting 85% efficiency and apparently ended up with 96%.

12L batch
2.5Kg maris otter
single infusion 67*C
BIAB
expected og 1.053
measured og 1.060

measured gravity after pitching
pitched at around 16*C.

could anything be wrong with my reading? is anybody else getting close to this efficiency?

by the way its an ipa, there's simcoe, chinook, wilamette and nelson sauvin, all thrown in at 20 mins.

I have not been able to get an efficiency reading that high, but it is possible. What efficiency calculator/tool did you use?

Wouldn't the small batch size lead to a greater ratio of boil off? Since evaporation rate is determined by surface area I would assume more water boiled off relative to a 5 gallon batch, resulting in a higher apparent efficiency. How long was your boil and in what size pot?

I made the recipe on brewtoad. I did a 1 hour mash and 1 hour boil. my kettle is a keggle, the opening is pretty much as big as possible. mash volume was 10L sparge volume was 6L. I did 3 dunk sparges, 2L each time, and squeezed the bag in it. By the way, I've squeezed the bag in the sparge water like this before without imparting any strange taste on the beer. Also there was still a bit of starsan in the mash water, could the acidity from it increased the mash efficiency? I'm also thinking that my malt just has a higher possible ppg than is typical.

Did you use a hydrometer? Was the wort cooled to room temp for the readings?

I used a hydrometer, it was cooled a few degrees below room temperature. Any temperature correction tools that I've looked at haven't made any change for that small difference.

Was was the PPG of the Maris Otter? I know that Hopville (which was morphed into Brewtoad) had a Maris Otter value with a PPG that was WAY too low (I think it was 32 or something like that instead of the 37-38 it should be). So that could certainly do it.

Back