92% Efficiency!?!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberg1

Reaction score
I'm in the middle of a boil right now on an IPA. My target preboil gravity was 1.044 and I hit 1.062!!! Is that really 92% efficiency or am I doing my math all wrong?

Either way I decided to take all the Amarillo I was gonna dry hop with and throw them in at 30 min ti get my IBUs higher to match my gravity and I'll just go back and get more for dry hop when it's time.

Can I expect to get this high on all my brews or is this a fluke?

I just rechecked everything.

Hydrometer sample temp - 63F
Grain weight - 21 pounds
Preboil volume - 12.75gal
Mash temp- 150 @ 1.4qt/lb

Depending on your system, it could happen. I average about 86-87% on my system. I hope its for real and not a fluke, for your sake

I measure preboil gravity multiply by the amount of wort collected divide by lbs of grain then divide that by 37
62 x 12.75 =790.5
21 / 790.5 = 37.6
37.6 / 37 = 101%
Something must be wrong did you stir the wort before taking a reading.......maybe its me math was never my best subject but thats how I been calculating my efficiency perhaps someone on the forum has a better method.

MikeinCT said:
sounds like a winner

I used 9lbs maris otter
9lb 2 row
2lb Munich 10L
1pm crystal 60

Okay so when I checked the OG when I put it in the fermenter it was @ 1.067. So I guess 1.062 was off alittle but my target OG was 1.054 based at 70% efficiency so would that put me at 85%?

FWIW, I've never had a pre-boil gravity calculate out to a post-boil efficiency right.

I quit taking them a long time ago b/c of that.

Back