9097 with Nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
On Friday I made an American Barley Wine with the intention of using 9097 (I made a starter a couple of weeks back but brew day was postponed). But, I had a few to many beers etc, forgot about the 9097 and pitched Nottingham instead.
When I remembered 24hrs later, there were vague signs of fermentation, I pitched the 9097 starter. Fermentation went MAD. MADDEST ive seen.
Im assuming the Brett. in the 9097 will still do its thing regardless of the Nottingham - can someone confirm this or will I end up with a completely different beer ?

Also - can I use the bucket again after using Brett. in it or should I keep it for future Brett. fermentations only ?

(1) Yes, the Brett will definitely still be in there. The character of the beer will be different, because you're using a different blend. But, in the face of a strong flavor like brett, you may not even notice.

(2) You can use the bucket again but, frankly, I wouldn't. Brettanomyces has a way of hiding in cracks and crevices that normal yeast/bacteria doesn't, and it will infect your next batch. Think of this as an excuse to get another fermenter!

I would keep it for brett only fermentations. I have a better bottle with my old ale in that used the 9097 and I plan on justing using that for brett'd and other non-sacch stuff. Although I'm sure I could clean it I will just make another batch of beer with the second packet of 9097 that I accidentally ordered.

The Brett will indeed do it's thing. In fact my bet is that the yeast in the 9097 blend isn't too terribly far off from the dry nottingham yeast so it's not like you did a bad thing by adding the 9097 blend.

Back