9 1/2 oz of Yum!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThickHead

Reaction score
6 gal batch of American IPA...should be delicious, cant wait!

Chinook
Centennial
Simcoe
Zeus
DSC_0052.JPG

Haha, I did just that the other day. Mostly Simcoe with cascade and centennial hops (a little of my home grown Nugget in there too). 9.5 oz of hops ended up weighing over 2.5 lbs wet when I was done.

Dryhopping with Simcoe in the next week or two.

I am brewing it up as I type. My previous batches have been pretty bog standard for an American IPA but I wanted to put a much more "in your face" hop character together this time. Looking forward to it...

What's your hop schedule looking like?

For giggles, I had about a half oz in the mash, 1 oz simcoe @60, and the rest was fairly split at the 20 min and 5 min, plus an extra 5 oz at flame out.

What's your hop schedule looking like?

For giggles, I had about a half oz in the mash, 1 oz simcoe @60, and the rest was fairly split at the 20 min and 5 min, plus an extra 5 oz at flame out.

1.5 oz Chinook at 60 min
2 oz Centennial at 20 min before flame-out
1 oz Simcoe/1 oz Chinook/1oz Zeus at flame-out
1 oz Simcoe/1 oz Chinook/1 oz Zeus Dry-hop (7 days)

Wonderfully, I scored one of these to start off my brew session!
DSC_0055.JPG

Finishing off the evening with some Two-Hearted but the Ballast Point was phenominal! I will be picking up a couple more bottles tomorrow!

For what it's worth:

Extract Batch
1lb Vienna
.5 lb Crystal 45
.5 lb Cara-Pils
60 min steap @ 150 F

60 min boil
6 lbs Northwestern Gold (LME)
2 lbs Northwestern Gold (DME)
[Ice-bath cooled and chilled infusion to 6.25 gal @ 70 F pitch-temp]

Hop Schedule
1.5 oz Chinook at 60 min
2 oz Centennial at 20 min before flame-out
1 oz Simcoe/1 oz Chinook/1oz Zeus at flame-out

Primary Fermentation
2 weeks @ 68 - 73 F

Secondary because that's how I roll
1 oz Simcoe/1 oz Chinook/1 oz Zeus Dry-hop (7 days)

Edit1: 1.050 OG (6.25 gal) / Pitched 2 Liter Starter: White Labs California Ale Yeast [4 gal boil pot (3.75 gal boil)stove-top, top off with chilled water]

Edit2: Yes, I am using a blow-off tube in a 6.5 gal glass carboy. Am using an Iodophor solution for blow-off medium, anyone have any suggestions for long-term blow-off medium?

Quick "Edit2" update with question:

Edit2: Yes, I am using a blow-off tube in a 6.5 gal glass carboy. Am using an Iodophor solution for blow-off medium, anyone have any suggestions for long-term blow-off medium?
DSC_0057.JPG

Water, Just keep it below the beer and don't let it get dry, Unless you're talking months, then go with an airlock, should be fine just like you have it for primary fermentation.

Finished this brew up last night and pitched around 11:00pm EST. Smells fantastic! Glad I went with the blow-off tube. :D
DSC_0059.JPG

Back